Airguns

You can see the discussion on the GMB web site, its about 8 min long. Highly emotive, very understandably, as the parents of a young boy who was killed were speaking about their campaign to change the laws on airguns , wanting them to be locked away.

Mike repeatedly made it clear that law had already been changed after this incident, with the intent of keeping airguns out of the hands of those under 18 not authorised by the owner to use them, and there was no need to tighten the laws further.

David

Thanks David, Just managed to get the Flash player updated after four go's, Mike managed to insert more than once, the fact that the incident brought to the fore this morning , took place with an air rifle that was stored on top of a wardrobe, in contravention of common sense, & that a law followed within a year to re inforce the prevention of access by under eighteens.

You can see the discussion on the GMB web site, its about 8 min long. Highly emotive, very understandably, as the parents of a young boy who was killed were speaking about their campaign to change the laws on airguns , wanting them to be locked away.

Mike repeatedly made it clear that law had already been changed after this incident, with the intent of keeping airguns out of the hands of those under 18 not authorised by the owner to use them, and there was no need to tighten the laws further.

David

Unfortunately, it didn't prevent my daughter's 13 year old friend from being killed accidentally with an Air Rifle earlier this year. Very sad and traumatic for the entire community.
MS
http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/mother_...ied_to_revive_her_son_inquest_hears_1_4565809

Last edited:
I would hate to see tighter restrictions on firearms ownership (including airguns), but I would love to see an end to airguns and knives on sale in toyshops. When youngsters and Irresponsible parents see them displayed in that kind of environment it's hardly surprising that they don't take the risks seriously.

VSS airguns haven't been for sale in toy shops well at least legally for many years. In order to sell airguns as a business you must be a RFD.

Also many people are still unaware that the law requires that if there are children in the house or regularly visiting the house airguns must be secured to prevent the children gaining access to them. As is usually the case this was a piece of reactive legislation following several fatal airgun incidents.

Have to say that the Suffolk incident was a stark reminder to us all. When my 5 year old nephew is coming round now the air rifle gets locked in the gun cabinet. Out of sight, out of mind. I know it is not technically a legal requirement to use a gun cabinet but the space is there so it seems a most suitable place. Usually it is really handy to have around with no under 18's in the house as it is quick to deploy when the rat opportunity arises.

Ditto ,6 grandkids and no access to mine ,all locked away till ratty needs a lead pil.Kids are curious and view weapons from a X box ,Play station perspective so to get their mitts on a air rifle/pistol without supervision is a recipe for disaster Imho .The only issue is the sheer volume of air weapons already in the public domain and the "its only an airgun" mentality of some who dont recognise the danger

VSS airguns haven't been for sale in toy shops well at least legally for many years. In order to sell airguns as a business you must be a RFD.

You'd better come and have a look in the toyshop in Pwllheli then.....

I'm sure he is an rfd but it's still a toyshop!

Ditto ,6 grandkids and no access to mine ,all locked away till ratty needs a lead pil.Kids are curious and view weapons from a X box ,Play station perspective so to get their mitts on a air rifle/pistol without supervision is a recipe for disaster Imho .The only issue is the sheer volume of air weapons already in the public domain and the "its only an airgun" mentality of some who dont recognise the danger

There is your problem in a nutshell "Kids view weapons from an X Box/Play station perspective " Youngsters are not schooled in proper responsible use of weapons anymore - in my day they used to allow air guns to be used under close supervision at cubs and scouts and at the local youth club - so kids grew up knowing that they weren't toys.

Lakey

Totally agree Lakey,we had air rifles ,then .22lr at our comprehensive back in the 70,s .Taught by an ex RAF W/O so safe safe safe was rammed through our tiny heads till it sunk in.Though i doubt in our P/C times the school does it anymore ,crying shame responsibility learned ,respect for firearms and people .Not fashionable anymore just zombies in front of a TV screen "killing "their screen persona .

Back