Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24mm scopes

24mm scopes

Anyone using a 24mm scope?

I'm curious as to how they are at twilight. I really want a scope with a 1x low end that I can mount low, the Vortex 1-6x24 being top of the list, and am ok sacrificing some last light minutes but don't want to have a scope that is useless the second it gets a little dim.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

I would think it the same as usual, you get what you pay for.
    My guess is that from Meopta through S&B, Kahles, Swarovski and Zeiss would be the best bet if you want some twilight performance from such a small lens.
    Either that or 2 scopes.....

A 'scope for driven as well as some ability as a general stalking unit? What's the split if it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Border View Post
    I would think it the same as usual, you get what you pay for.
    My guess is that from Meopta through S&B, Kahles, Swarovski and Zeiss would be the best bet if you want some twilight performance from such a small lens.
    Either that or 2 scopes.....
    I agree, it's going to be a compromise one way or the other - a 1x variable with a small tube will lack light gathering later in the day, while something like a 1.7-10x42 Swaro Z6i might be the better way to go if you can live with the lack of the 1x lower end.

Deffo go for best quality you can afford, and an illuminated reticle will help in either scenario.

I have the Z6i 1-6x24 with CDI reticle on my 9.3x62 and I'm not sure I wouldn't go for the 1.7x10x42 (with same reticle) for driven if I was choosing again. I've used the 1-6x24 for stalking here in the UK and it's perfectly adequate in most situations for me, but my eyes aren't as sharp as they once were so maybe I'm stopping early than I used to anyway.

I have an older 1-4x20 Nickel scope which is mounted on the .22rf and use it for rabbiting and can certainly shoot rabbits as long as I can see them with the naked eye. It doesn't give light intensifying effect that you get with a zeiss 6x42 etc. A modern x24 scope will be better and certainly S&B, Zeiss or Steiner's that I have looked through have a very nice bright image. With a 30mm tube some of these 24mm scopes are quite bulky. Also they all seem to have a reticle that gets smaller and larger as you Zoom. It's easy to see on 4x but actually gets quite thin a 1x. I had a look a Leupold 1.5-5x20 the other day - lovely little scope with a 1"tube - only downside is that at 1.5x the Cross hair is very fine. I would much prefer a fixed reticle with the image getting larger as you find on the bigger scopes.

If you are wanting good low light performance go with the 1.5-6x42 - still compact and can be mounted nice and low, but gives you all the low light performance you need.
    Last edited by Heym SR20; 14-09-2016 at 10:29.

You'll be fine as long as you turn it down to around 3x for the twilight conditions. As above, a 1.5-6x42 will enable you to use 6x in low light.

Cheers lads, good to know that the 24mm is usable.
    A 1.5-6x42 is definitely an option but unfortunately I can't seem to find one around the price I want to spend (realistically 350 tops).
    that is one of the reasons why I am leaning towards vortex, they have good glass for the price and that warranty is very appealing.
    Maybe their 1.75-5x32 would do me. Not illuminated mind but that isn't a deal breaker, I would prefer it though.

I would run a fixed 3x or 4x (even a 1x) but I don't think I'm comfortable with that out to 200 yards.

Do bear in mind its a lot cheaper to make small lenses of high quality, than larger lenses. Look a the price of top brand 7x20 or 7x32 binoculars compared to their 7x42s - huge difference in price, not a lot of difference in performance, even as light diminishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Greener Jim View Post
    Cheers lads, good to know that the 24mm is usable.
    A 1.5-6x42 is definitely an option but unfortunately I can't seem to find one around the price I want to spend (realistically 350 tops).
    that is one of the reasons why I am leaning towards vortex, they have good glass for the price and that warranty is very appealing.
    Maybe their 1.75-5x32 would do me. Not illuminated mind but that isn't a deal breaker, I would prefer it though.

I would run a fixed 3x or 4x (even a 1x) but I don't think I'm comfortable with that out to 200 yards.
    think again.
    I use 4x exclusively and find them significantly better at 200-300 than say a 3-9 on 9x or a 12x on full blast. Why? Because there's perfect clarity on deer sized game and no wobble to make me jerk the trigger. I swear everyone would be better shots if they ditched the
    big scopes for fixed 4x. I could elaborate on why I'm right for pages but can't be f***'d because 99% of people on forums are mind washed by marketeers or can't psychologically handle the idea their own scope is way overkill

There are two types of shooters - the fulfilled and successful ones - with a 7 X 57 and those poor souls who have not yet decided to get one!

I have, dare I mention, a Nikko Sterling Diamond 1 to 4 by 24 (I think) in a 30mm tube. It has an illuminated centre dot with crosshairs and is a brilliant scope with excellent light transmission and no noticeable distortion, which the Vortex 1 to 6 definitely has. It's also very affordable. I have often thought how difficult it must be for a person who has spent over 1,000, perhaps even double that, on optics to acknowledge that optics of a quarter of the price might be as good. By way of comment I was at a local London Camera Exchange who had in the window a pair of used Leica binoculars at only 800. Compared, looking up the street, with a pair of 120 something or others the Leica pair was no better, and the worst aspect was chromatic aberration which was bloody awful on the Leicas and barely noticeable on the cheaper pair.

Well I am intrigued. Low magnification is fine by me but as said am concerned about the, admittedly rare, 200 yard shot. Also, I don't know how 4x would feel at close range or on moving targets.
    If you don't want to start a huge debate PKL feel free to PM me and we can talk low power scopes.