Thread: Changing brass

Changing brass

I've picked up some new brass for my .223 different brand my from usual batch, wound a difference in brass change my recipe much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could check the capacity of your new brass against your old brass by priming a pair of cases, weighing them and then filling them with water and weighing again. Case capacity is the difference between the before and after, obviously. Be sure to get all air out, a syringe or similar works well for this.

Regards

Mark

As above, when changing brass, I usually check water capacity for comparison and will re-work my loads a little either side of my current load as with smaller calibres, smaller variations can give rise to more noticeable differences than with larger case capacities, but it does depend on how pressure sensitive the propellant you use is. Some will be fussier than others. I've found very little difference changing from Remington brass to Lapua for my current case loads in 223 using Vhit powders so have kept my capacities the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy.jim86 View Post
    I've picked up some new brass for my .223 different brand my from usual batch, wound a difference in brass change my recipe much?
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Jimmy, just an example for you, I shoot a number of calibers, and the latest a 17 remington shoots a dream out at 300 on rabbits. My load is 25.5 grain as of Varget with 20grain vmax, with remington brass.
    I thought I would treat myself to some nosler brass, but I bit gutted when I realised that I can't get that amount in. The maximum I can fit in is 24.7 and that's to the brim there's no way I'll get the other 0.8 grains in.

So the answer to you your question is yes, it will make a difference.