Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calibers you didn't like?

Calibers you didn't like?

Having read the 'best caliber' thread with interest, I was wondering what the opposite situation would be? I've always thought that a standard caliber like .270/.308/30-06 with a decent bullet and sensible ranges would work. So are there any calibers out there that you've regretting going for?

6.5x55 massively over rated
    270 massively over rated
    22.250 , it is not as flat as a lazer FFS
    30/06 , overated old fashioned 308 that is not the hammer of thor that it's fans would have you believe!
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Quote Originally Posted by wildfowler.250 View Post
    Having read the 'best caliber' thread with interest, I was wondering what the opposite situation would be? I've always thought that a standard caliber like .270/.308/30-06 with a decent bullet and sensible ranges would work. So are there any calibers out there that you've regretting going for?

I looked at the other thread, but decided I was in no position to comment, after all, just how many different rifles/calbres do you need to shoot, before you can give an opinion based on wide ranging experience, and not just "I shoot xxxxx, and it's great".............

To me, "calibre" is just a small part of the equation of how a rifle shoots. How a rifle fits, it's weight, with or with out a mod, barrel length, ammunition/bullet/load, will in my limited experience have far more influence on the outcome, than the "calibre".

Positively the WORST rifle I ever bought/shot, was a 7mm-08, but what does that tell you ? Two parts, of sweet FA !

The calibre had nothing to do with how it shot. It was a Remington Titanium Mountain rifle, and it looked great. Problem was, it kicked worse than my 9.3 x 74r side by side, and shot about 2" at 40yrds, and having spent way too much trying to find something it would shoot, it was returned a unfit for purpose, and refunded.

So I think it's more about poor rifles, and miss matched ammunition, than bad calibres, although I'm sure the likes of Muir, and one or two others, with his experience, may well have a few to avoid !

Had the use of a .270 old BSA Majestic (estate rifle) really did not like it excessive recoil and I do mean excessive this was in the days prior to moderators, no doubt a mod would have helped, also the fit was not the best for me which may have been a contributory factor, whatever it put me off the caliber for life.

In my line of work I have fired most stalking calibers and other than the aforementioned I can't say there are any really dislike, do have a few issues with 30.06 on Roe fine on Reds but meat damage can be unacceptable,I know this is contrary to what has been posted on this site previously, but I have had a lot of Roe shot be clients whith 30.06 that have been unfit to go to the game dealer due meat damage, bullet choice may also play a part here.

An old Remington 270, like BT's this one kicked like mule. No recoil pad, just wood in your shoulder. Shot loads of different cals and as mentioned before it's more the rifle than cal that makes things nice or not nice to shoot

well for my shout a .17hmr, i tired one, excellent, and good for beyond 120 meters, then i tried using one on a hilly farm in wales, where it rains a lot, and its always windy, utter ***** in my hands, although Im sure many people will tell me they shoot bears at 1000 paces with one ,(always in the left eye) zeroed at 50 meters without adjusting thier sights!

Not a fan of .243W for deer. Was not a fan of a super light, short stocked "mountain rifle" in 300WM I shot once. Anything with "Weatherby" in the title is usually unpleasant to shoot.
    "He who drags the deer has the last laugh (mainly because he has to get his breath back)"

I guess it's such a subjective topic that there are no real definitives for this question? For the 'recoil-sensitive' (ahem) I guess any of the overbore calibres might be seen as a bit punchy, while bench-rest guys might hate anything with a loopy trajectory. Similarly, dedicated foxing guys might swear by the likes of the .22 CF ranges, and woodland stalkers may want a heavy bullet in something like the 30-06. Doesn't necessarily make any of the calibres themselves worse than another, it rather highlights the massive benefits of having so many to choose from, and the fact that each has its own strengths and weaknesses depending on the use you want to put it to
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

300 win mag, cant stand em, loud, over sized calibre for this country, and having been nearly shot by an overseas client using one about 25 years ago I suppose that makes me biased but non the less cant see the need for them in the UK. And if you think a 270 kicks try a 300.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    if you think a 270 kicks
    But it doesn't

I honestly don't understand why so many people think the .270 has excessive recoil. Even un-moderated, the very worst thing about my .270's recoil is that it unsights you momentarily following the shot
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care