Lost roe Buck? Advice please

I would say that its more likely that you haven't lost one because you haven't shot enough deer! Not wishing to sound disparaging but it doesn't matter how careful you are, eventually something will go wrong. I probably got to close to 100 before I lost one (Munty doe at last light that moved just as I took the shot). Never think that you're too careful to lose one because life has a way of bringing you back down to earth with a bump!
. Well said that man.

Never think that you're too careful to lose one because life has a way of bringing you back down to earth with a bump!

Oh yes. For decades I prided myself on never having had an ND. Right up until the day I had one!!!! :eek:

I would say that its more likely that you haven't lost one because you haven't shot enough deer! Not wishing to sound disparaging but it doesn't matter how careful you are, eventually something will go wrong. I probably got to close to 100 before I lost one (Munty doe at last light that moved just as I took the shot). Never think that you're too careful to lose one because life has a way of bringing you back down to earth with a bump!

Thanks for the reply. Without wanting to distract from the original question, which was about potentially wounded animals, and knowing what you know about me, what is 'enough deer' for me and my deer stalking ethos, would you say?

Having started this thread a week or two ago I'd add now that, sadly, we did not find the deer but I am very certain it was killed. I'd also like to thank everyone for the tsunami of good advice I was given through the thread - amazing and kind too. Most are very busy people. I will be more cautious and thoughtful now - certainly before I fire. I thought I was before but know now that I was not. I shall not fire now without a very proper 'think to the finish' and if that means less shots, so be it. It's a good phrase - not mine but a wise Field Marshal's (Allenby)! Right, out to the woods and hopes, as always, will be high!

Thanks for the reply. Without wanting to distract from the original question, which was about potentially wounded animals, and knowing what you know about me, what is 'enough deer' for me and my deer stalking ethos, would you say?

Enough deer to lose one. I think the point was that it's a finite number, so at some point no matter how careful you are something will go wrong if you do it "enough". It wasn't an insult to you (and nor is this).

I've never lost one either. But I don't kid myself that it won't happen at some point. I've shot one deer badly, which turned suddenly as I pulled the trigger. The shot hit the vitals but the angle took it down far enough that it nicked the guts before exiting. Deer dropped to shot and expired pretty much immediately, but it wouldn't have taken much more to have a very nastily wounded animal.

All anyone can do is be as careful as reasonably possible and be aware at all times that there are some very unpleasant consequences possible if we make a mistake, and a lost deer might be the least of them.

Dear all,

I always apreciate and learn something new, when reading these type of post, thank you

I have been in situation, that a late afternoon roe buck, was shot and wounded, what I did really appreciate, that night, that a lot of people came out to help and search with dogs....even a wife of a rifleman that was nearby.

The point its always the same....... Errare humanum est (to make its a mistake its human), the very important thing, it is, what you going to do about it to rectify the situation?, some of you as usual, come out with....you don't shoot enough deer if you never wounded one....what a load of bo@@ocks, the number of deer shot as got nothing to do, with a mistake or involuntary bad shot, the important point, its, how big effort, are you going to put in, to recover/dispatch that animal.

Regards
Mark

Dear some of you as usual, come out with....you don't shoot enough deer if you never wounded one....what a load of bo@@ocks, the number of deer shot as got nothing to do, with a mistake or involuntary bad shot,

Regards
Mark

Its not a case of having a go at anyone but its simply the law of averages, you are much more likely to make a fek up if you have shot several thousand than if you have only shot half a dozen.

I'd say you are both correct

Yes it's a case of after a bad shot " what are you going to do about it?"

Totally unequivocally agree

But bogtrotter also right
& I see how his post may be taken wrongly I'm sure as he stated it wasn't intended as an insult

But of course the more you shoot the higher the chance of a bad shot

It may be nothing to do with shooter but how many folk have had s beast take a step as you pull trigger etc ?

There are so many variables

But your both right

Paul

Its not a case of having a go at anyone but its simply the law of averages, you are much more likely to make a fek up if you have shot several thousand than if you have only shot half a dozen.

I fully agree with you Bogtrotter, I was trying to highlight the solution and not the problem, does it make sense?

I'd say you are both correct

Yes it's a case of after a bad shot " what are you going to do about it?"

Totally unequivocally agree

But bogtrotter also right
& I see how his post may be taken wrongly I'm sure as he stated it wasn't intended as an insult

But of course the more you shoot the higher the chance of a bad shot

It may be nothing to do with shooter but how many folk have had s beast take a step as you pull trigger etc ?

There are so many variables

But your both right

Paul

Hi Sauer, I'm sure no insult was meant nor intended, I do understand, numbers and averages, to me its more important, that we all take the responsibility of the shot taken, like most on here do.

Regards

Mark

I fully agree with you Bogtrotter, I was trying to highlight the solution and not the problem, does it make sense?

Hi Sauer, I'm sure no insult was meant nor intended, I do understand, numbers and averages, to me its more important, that we all take the responsibility of the shot taken, like most on here do.

Regards

Mark

No insult was intended,and I agree that the important thing is to do your very best to rectify the situation when something does go wrong, as it will sooner or later.

Back