Thread: Vorn rucksacks

Vorn rucksacks

Has anyone seen and possibly tried the new Vorn Rucksacks?
    https://wildstags.co.uk/products/vor...litre-backpack
    they look good but do they justify the underpant shittingly high price for something made in China?

regards
    Steve

Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: http://www.uksha.org or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

By far the most comfortable pack (shooting or otherwise) I've ever used. As I've said elsewhere on this site I load one up with water bottles & do decent to long walks with it to keep fit. Must have done 750 miles now with it carrying more weight than it's probably designed for & it's still as good as new.

It would be my pack of choice if I was heading off to New Zealand or Austrian alpine hunting (I can dream) but I use other solutions for most of my UK stalking. The shoulder straps are quite thick so it makes quite a difference to gun fit if you're trying to shoot with the pack still on & you definitely need to dump the pack for a prone shot. It's very awkward to crawl & then try to remove the rifle whilst on the ground; you really need to take the pack off & crawl with the rifle in your hands, although if you can sit up it's fine.

Although the promotional videos show the rifle being whipped out of the pack & a shot taken you would want to think very carefully about carrying a loaded rifle in the pack. You can't check the status of the safety catch & you're about to pull the rifle out with the trigger passing in close proximity to a fastening hook.

So to summarise, if you need to carry a bit of gear plus rifle for a long way or over difficult terrain then go for it; if you're doing the usual UK stalking options then I'd go for a bum-bag & yool sack for woodland stalking or a small pack & rifle in a slip (for long crawls) for the hill.

I have one, and like above, think its good.

The 2 issues that there would be though,
    1. it's not waterproof.
    2. when you take the rifle out of the holder, sometimes the rifle sling will catch on the clasps on the rucksack that hold it in place. Easy to cure, by not having the sling on the rifle. I have no issues with having the gun in the rucksack with it loaded with safety on.

I use one all the time, both in our local woods and when I'm up in Scotland - I find it great. When used locally I got an old golf umbrella cover i put over the mod and and barrel and most walkers or people that i encounter don't even realise i'm carrying a rifle!. one walker even commented why i was carrying an umbrella on a nice day!!
    what I've done to counter the above two points
    1. Waterproof - not sure what can be done, but I've used greenland wax over the fabric and it does a pretty ok job at keeping the rain out (not perfect but good enough) - the fjallraven stuff.
    2. make sure that the sling is left outside the compartment when you slide your rifle in, i too had that problem but not anymore.

It a pretty good pack, as i don't like to have my pockets full of gear, knives, gloves, drink bottle etc.
    B

Thanks for that, some sound advice. I was looking to upgrade from my swedteam bum bag but I don't think I can justify the cost. It does look good though

Regards

Steve

Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: http://www.uksha.org or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

If you don't want pockets full of the essentials then take a look at this http://www.huntingsolutions.co.uk/na...-roe-sack-5418

i was out with a stalker last week who had one. At first I thought to myself "that's a pretty handy bum bag" To keep all kit together and not worry about forgetting to put stuff in your pocket and with it being a bum bag there are no shoulder straps to interfere with mounting the rifle.

That was before I realised the bum bag transformed into a roe sack! I took a munty Buck and off came the bum bag for easy access to the kit and the bum bag expanded. With the waist strap and good thick shoulder straps it was much comfier than my traditional loden roe sack and they come with 2 liners which is great if you take a couple of deer in a day. Well worth 80.
    "If you can't see it, you can't shoot it"

Quote Originally Posted by Coddy View Post
    I have one, and like above, think its good.

The 2 issues that there would be though,
    1. it's not waterproof.
    2. when you take the rifle out of the holder, sometimes the rifle sling will catch on the clasps on the rucksack that hold it in place. Easy to cure, by not having the sling on the rifle. I have no issues with having the gun in the rucksack with it loaded with safety on.
    1. I pack a waterproof poncho which goes over the top of me & the pack (& the dog) if it's really wet. I see loads of waterproof pack covers for sale for hiking packs; I'm sure that something could be adapted.

2. As said by Coddy, either keep the sling on the outside of the rifle pouch or my preferred option is to use a Brownells Latigo sling which when in it's short position sits almost taut & passes the hooks with no problem.
    Last edited by McKenzie; 16-09-2016 at 12:23.

They look really nice, but the sure know how to charge.