Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meindl Dovre Extreme GTX

Meindl Dovre Extreme GTX

Morning everyone,

I have just purchased the above boots, along with the meindl conditioner, wet proof and sport wax. After some advice as to how to care for the boot before I go and wear them for the first time as I do not want to wear them unprotected. Any help would be fantastic!

Cheers

Dinnae get carried away laddie. They are tough boots. I'm sure I'll get plenty abuse but all I ever did in the early days was polish them with ordinary shoe polish. I say the early days as mine are lasting well. I have worn them a lot over the years. Now, lately, I've been putting some sexy wax stuff on them that I got at the Scone fair. Certainly repels the water. Mine must be 4 years old now and I wear them all the time in the winter and every day on the hill in the summer.
    Guid bits lad. Enjoy.

They tend to come "ready to wear". You might have to "break them in" a bit for the first 10-12 hours of use (at least I did). You don't have to treat them with anything before first time use. I tend to wash them in luke warm water after my stalking sessions and let them dry for a few hours. After that, I use a hair dryer to warm the leather just before applying wax (meindl makes it own but does not have to be the same) liberally. Rest it overnight and it will be ready for use.

I am thinking buying the same model for my dad but he has quite broad feet. Is the GTX quite broad?

As above good solid boots with little or no maintenance on my part.

With thick socks I am an 11 and a half they are so comfortable it is untrue! Thanks for the help chaps Goat hunter your sexy wax seems like a lot of fun! ;P

Quote Originally Posted by darkstalker View Post
    I am thinking buying the same model for my dad but he has quite broad feet. Is the GTX quite broad?
    They market it as broad, but I did not find them overly generous.

All my work boots are 11, in later years some makes are getting slightly snug as my feet flatten...but the next pair of Meindl boots would definitely be 11.5. rather than the 11 I have. I can only wear a pair of walking socks in them and would like the opportunity to wear liner socks as well...

If you can find a stockist...definitely try them on first.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alantoo View Post
    They market it as broad, but I did not find them overly generous.

All my work boots are 11, in later years some makes are getting slightly snug as my feet flatten...but the next pair of Meindl boots would definitely be 11.5. rather than the 11 I have. I can only wear a pair of walking socks in them and would like the opportunity to wear liner socks as well...

If you can find a stockist...definitely try them on first.

Alan
    Ditto for this: I can only wear the thinest of walking socks in my size 11. They would still count as the most comfortable boots I've ever worn by a country mile; I really do feel as if I can sprint up hills with them & I don't think I'll ever wear wellies again unless there's actual flooding.

You won't do any harm by proofing them before you first wear them but I would think that it would be unnecessary.

I was a little worried that it might be like walking in ski-boots before I tried them but no, they flex enough & give fantastic ankle support.

Spray with ballistol, job done and ticks repelled too. Have to say,
    my next boots will be esatto hikers

There are two types of shooters - the fulfilled and successful ones - with a 7 X 57 and those poor souls who have not yet decided to get one!

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    Spray with ballistol, job done and ticks repelled too. Have to say,
    my next boots will be esatto hikers
    OMG Peter, I've just looked up the price for these Esatto Hikers! Anyway, I'd have thought you'd be buying up big on baby shoes just now...

Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    OMG Peter, I've just looked up the price for these Esatto Hikers! Anyway, I'd have thought you'd be buying up big on baby shoes just now...
    Said next, not soon! :-) lol

There are two types of shooters - the fulfilled and successful ones - with a 7 X 57 and those poor souls who have not yet decided to get one!