Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you had to start over - which reloading gear would you have bought/not bought?

If you had to start over - which reloading gear would you have bought/not bought?

Follow on from this comment in another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    I dont regret starting reloading at all, but I do regret all the expensive gear I bought and now seldom use.
    I wish I had stayed with basic kit, and a lot less of it, the room it takes up is now a real problem.
    20/20 hindsight and all.

As I see it, for most stalkers, a lee loader and a rubber mallet will suffice I mean, unless you do target shooting, how many rounds will you actually shoot in a week/month if you do purely recreational deer stalking?

Of course, as males, we are genetically wired to be gear-heads and want all the latest and cool toys. As Hornet 6 said above, lots of it ends up not being used.

If you were starting over - what would you buy now - and what would you not buy?

As I happens i'm in the position where i'll be starting afresh, though i'll be doing target as well as (hopefully) stalking.

I wouldn't bother with a lube pad, nor would I buy a beam scale or tumbler. I use Hornady One Shot to lube my cases, prefer to use a digital scale after throwing the powder from the Lee powder measure, and just clean my cases ultrasonically

One thing I wish I HAD bought though, was a tap and die set for removing the inevitable stuck case without completely f*cking my die
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

This is a good point.

Case lube - you can actually make your own using lanolin and isopropyl alcohol. Apparently some commercial case lubes are exactly just this!

Digital scales. When I look at the name brand (i.e. Hornady) digital scales and regular digital scales accurate to 0.01g (0.154gr) - they pretty much look physically identical at 1/5 of the price. I suspect they come out of the same factory in China.

Ultrasonic cleaner - yes - i'm tempted to get one just to clean other things too.

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    This is a good point.

Case lube - you can actually make your own using lanolin and isopropyl alcohol. Apparently some commercial case lubes are exactly just this!

Digital scales. When I look at the name brand (i.e. Hornady) digital scales and regular digital scales accurate to 0.01g (0.154gr) - they pretty much look physically identical at 1/5 of the price. I suspect they come out of the same factory in China.

Ultrasonic cleaner - yes - i'm tempted to get one just to clean other things too.
    I make this lube too and not only is it a lot cheaper but I can lube 100 cases in about 3 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
    I wouldn't bother with a lube pad, nor would I buy a beam scale or tumbler. I use Hornady One Shot to lube my cases, prefer to use a digital scale after throwing the powder from the Lee powder measure, and just clean my cases ultrasonically

One thing I wish I HAD bought though, was a tap and die set for removing the inevitable stuck case without completely f*cking my die
    Drill the primer pocket out to a size you have a bolt for. Put a socket over the case, bolt with a nut on it fed through the socket into the pre drilled hole. Tighten up the bolt, tighten the nut down onto the socket and the stuck case will come out. No damage to die

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger22 View Post
    Drill the primer pocket out to a size you have a bolt for. Put a socket over the case, bolt with a nut on it fed through the socket into the pre drilled hole. Tighten up the bolt, tighten the nut down onto the socket and the stuck case will come out. No damage to die
    That's exactly how I learned to do it afterwards Except it was with the addition of tapping the hole to M6 that made threading the bolt in a lot easier. Assuming you then had an M6 bolt to hand, of course
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Everything I have bought I have used. The one regret I have is buying superformnce powder, very little data on it. Plus it's not the same powder as Hornady use it their factory loads

quick change bushes and lock rings,are a must,,,,theres a lot of threads on three dies!
    DONT START

Lube pad? Cut a cheap thin asda washing up sponge in half so it fits inside a clear plastic pack like the ones sliced cold meat comes in. Washing this first is good.

et voila
    I never make the same mistake twice.

I make it five or six times.

Just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by AN DU RU FOX View Post
    quick change bushes and lock rings,are a must
    Oh yes! It's amazing just how much hassle such a 'simple job' is, isn't it? Lol