Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Midland Game Fair - Weston Park

SD Regular

Midland Game Fair - Weston Park

I have not been to this for at least six or so years. It wasn't much then...what's it like now?

I am, specifically, looking for good, reasonable price, brown leather shooting shoes (not boots) and maybe some proper plus fours. And to get the odd box of cartridges to try before I order a slab for the season.

Also I've, maybe, a decent late 1970s Browning Auto 5 to sell. So will I be wasting my time or is there more than rows of rustic house name plaques, cheap kitchen knives, and "tat"?

Who's been last year and what was it like?

SD Regular
    Well I went and i saw. Came back with brown leather shooting shoes. Loads of them. 55.00. Proper plus fours? No. Lots of "breeks" ranging from 35 up to well over 100 and in tweed, moleskin and etc., etc..

Cartridges? Not a chance. No Eley, no Lylvale, no Gamebore, no Hull Cartridge in fact no one showing cartridges and no one (that I could see) selling them either. Didn't see any "gun makers" but just gun sellers and gun importers. Even so no Elderkin, no Giles Marriott no "Matched Pairs" no Jason Abbott.

None of the three London makers, nor Boxall and Edminston, nor Longthorne and neither a Westley Richards nor a William Powell. But I did see Mauser and Rigby I think and Norman Clarke.

Leica and Hawke Optics were there but no Zeiss and no Swarovski.

I had a complimentary ticket. If I had paid 20 I'd have been very disappointed.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 17-09-2016 at 20:05.

I was there today not the biggest game fair but plenty to see and it was red hot. I purchased a new leather belt and a coat for the dog, i was also after a Beretta but no GMK or Beretta stand ive about given up trying to buy a Beretta.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory." LLAP Leonard Nimoy 1931 - 2015

I have just got back, like Enfieldspares, I was disappointed. Arrived at 07.45 paid me 20. The mist came down and it turned chilly standing around, 'cos the organisers decided not to let anybody in until 08.30!! Will I make the 200 mile round trip next year? No!

1, I was after a Swarovski bino cover. Couldn't see anything. I'll buy on line.
    2, I was after nice deer hunter jacket for winter. Sad to say, cheaper on line.
    Gunmakers row was a nice big banner, and that was it.
    The usual tat was available, but I suppose this ads to the modern game fair.

I did however purchase a nice Damascus neck knife.

However as a positive it was a nice day out, amongst like minded people.

Also so for the life of me, why do people drag puppies round. I understand the need to humanise them, but on a hot day surely the best place is at home in the kennel.

Spaniel

I live 30 minutes up the road from the midland. I had the offer of free tickets and still didn't go.

the lack of mainstay exhibitors could we'll be down to previous losses through theft and the characteristics of the demographic who attend.

its a sad day when you don't want to take your family to what is -ostensibly- a family event.

Quote Originally Posted by zaitsev View Post
    I live 30 minutes up the road from the midland. I had the offer of free tickets and still didn't go.

the lack of mainstay exhibitors could we'll be down to previous losses through theft and the characteristics of the demographic who attend.

its a sad day when you don't want to take your family to what is -ostensibly- a family event.
    That's a very polite way of saying what we all know Lot of dags there as well I would imagine

Absolutely. It needn't be spelled out.

sadly it appears that the organisers are unable or unwilling (most likely unable) to do anything to resolve the problem.

fairground rides, 'attractions' and tat of every description bring the game fair down to the level of the lowest common denominator.

if the intention is to have a game fair then have a policy to keep everything related to field sports. Otherwise the event becomes what it has today: a rather sad assemblage of the aforementioned tat and the brave few who still make the effort to attend.

Quote Originally Posted by zaitsev View Post
    Absolutely. It needn't be spelled out.

sadly it appears that the organisers are unable or unwilling (most likely unable) to do anything to resolve the problem.

fairground rides, 'attractions' and tat of every description bring the game fair down to the level of the lowest common denominator.

if the intention is to have a game fair then have a policy to keep everything related to field sports. Otherwise the event becomes what it has today: a rather sad assemblage of the aforementioned tat and the brave few who still make the effort to attend.

Can't knock the fairground rides, some of those at the game fair are my customers, and a few are close friends. Don't get the ones with the dags and the fairground operators mixed up, very different and dislike each other.

enfieldspares. I am sure Norman Clark would make you a special?
    Good job it was just for a meet up today although to be fair some of the ring events were excellent.

The Leica and Blaser/Sauer stands were very informative and well manned.

Certainly lots of tat, fairground stuff and a few roamers evident but Police in evidence towards the middle to end of day.

Worth the entrance, not really except for the company.

SD Regular
    Ah, well, Old Man, being in Leicestershire it's ony an half hour to Norman Clarke so I know him well enough. It's the folks that aren't local...the big ammunition loaders...the importers of stuff that I had hoped to see. And didn't find present.