Don't get too close.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's all well and good but what about all the idiots that we see almost daily who ride their cycles two, three or sometimes four abreast and think that they own the roads.
I nearly took one out in a narrow stretch of traffic light controlled road works the other week - I went through GREEN lights and he shot straight through red lights coming straight towards me!

I am not against the lycra clad gang but for F**k sake three a side or in tight groups on small winding roads ! no sorry tracks as they are just about 1.25 wide old car size = a trip to the ER :eek: One road is called "watery lane" its a rat run for any size of motor and lorry ,it has been the crash hot spot for years but the gang of lycra like to use it to race down and there's not a straight part on it ?? , and its our fault when one gets run over due to the sudden flash of green or red around a tight corner coming straight down the middle crown of the said road ,we are expected to run into a tree or damage our motors and then have to pay for the repairs as an out of pocket good will sorry you were in the wrong but i'll pay for your stupidity ? and they just **** off and leave us sitting there calling the AA :doh: funny we get it rammed down our necks watch out for bikes stop at junctions give way but none of this seems to apply to the gangs of bikes that roam our roads day and twilight with no lights or never seem to look behind or to the side when crossing at a red light ! why is this ? for one its them bloody silly shoe's that stops them from just stopping PDQ as they fall over like spinning top.:norty:
This is my rant my views,
No lycra was harmed while typing this and the high way code was completely disregarded :stir: :popcorn:

Every night there is cyclists on the A9 north of the Cromarty bridge. Main road at 5 o'clock. What a menace they are. Cars or tractors travelling at that speed would be charged for obstructing traffic. It wouldn't be me doing it that's for sure.

We have a huge number of cyclists on the roads round here too. Many are absolutely fine but there are an ever increasing number of cycling "evangelists" - you know the type - I can go where I what when I want" and everything is the car drivers fault. These selfish idiots ride 2/3/4 abreast on single track roads, ignore traffic lights, ride on pavements, and so it goes on.

There is a section in the Highway code but they don't seem to think it applies to them.

here is one extract.

[h=3]Rule 66[/h]You should

• keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear
  • keep both feet on the pedals
  • never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends
  • not ride close behind another vehicle
  • not carry anything which will affect your balance or may get tangled up with your wheels or chain
  • be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially sighted pedestrians. Let them know you are there when necessary, for example, by ringing your bell if you have one. It is recommended that a bell be fitted.

Huge numbers of cyclists in swarms around here. Frankly while I like cycling and am broadly in approval they have become an absolute ******* menace on the roads at certain times. And don't even go there as regards the road closures for the cycle races. It wouldn't be so bad if there were alternative routes available but there are not so the end result is total disruption to normal life and business for a great many people.
Some how I can't see the authorities allowing shooters to close off roads so they could hold a shoot down the carriageway of the M4 or M5. :stir:

I'll take notice of the room I am supposed to give them when the police start enforcing the no "Racing or Pacemaking" on the highway.
It seems I live in the wrong place as every Sunday morning I run into problems with the lycra loonies who cause chaos through rochford
and on to southend.

Neil. :)

A bit more to add this morning, 3 abreast on a corner of a back lane with one on his phone in the second pack!

Most of them were an age when they should know better!

Tim.243

No road tax. No insurance. No license. . . . . . .

Yet a huge percentage of this type of road user seem to have the worst attitude of all when it comes to consideration, respect for other road users and common courtesy.

A bit more to add this morning, 3 abreast on a corner of a back lane with one on his phone in the second pack!

Most of them were an age when they should know better!

Tim.243

In total agreement Tim. There was a very unfortunate local cyclist who was out with his pack one evening two years ago. He fell off his bike and was run over by a passing motorist and was killed. The cyclist was an off duty policeman (an experienced traffic officer I believe) and he had consumed around five or six pints of beer while on his weekly training ride. If anyone should have known better it was him.

Have absolutely nothing against cyclists who are riding the lanes with a purpose eg To use their mode of transport to get from work to home or village to village.
However,the lycra clad bunches up to 30 strong racing along country lanes drive me to distraction. Surely their must be old airfields in every area where they could ride in safety, as they are not out to enjoy the countryside. They are a menace in my area to pedestrians,motorists and farm traffic alike, every racing type,human and bike should be banned from public roads. Sir Barry Wiggins has a lot to answer for!

i drive a hgv for a living and you want to try getting that past the muppets when they point blank refuse to slow down when you try to over take them and they point blank ignore the signs on the back asking them not to come down the inside of me so i have to have sensors to alert me and idicators that shout at them im turning left

I'm a keen cyclist, I try to cycle to work 2-3 times a week at 28 miles each way. I cycle on my own so don't block roads however won't cycle in the gutter as its always full of 5h17 and given an inch car, van & truck drivers try to squeeze past through bolards or on coming traffic. I stop at junctions, red lights and give way where I should. Although most drivers are ok this year alone I've had over 10 near misses, cars pulling out, junctions, roundabouts etc. It's only that I am so switched on that saved me. Had 1 knock off car turned left, I was in cycle lane got implanted into side of car and forced round the corner. Driver F'ed off. Police not interested as I wasn't injured. What a joke.
ILB

Having driven upto Glencoe for the weekend how the hell nobody was killed on Friday is beyond me. An organised cycle event with nearly 800 riders on the A82...total carnage!!

You only have to look at what they wear to realise they're not all the ticket. What adult in the right mind would go out looking like spiderman :rofl: I ask you, what sort of person does that from choice ?? :doh:

No road tax. No insurance. No license. . . . . . .

Yet a huge percentage of this type of road user seem to have the worst attitude of all when it comes to consideration, respect for other road users and common courtesy.

YOu sir are a man after my own heart. Pay tax on three vehicles currently and can obviously only drive one at once yet they pay fck all. I have actually knocked two cyclists off and quite frankly had I not been on my way to work would have smacked them. First ran a zebra crossing whilst I crossed, second shot out in front of my on my motorbike mid corner just managed to lean it over and kick him out the way. Bloody cretins and worse art is most are not young people certainly I see more 40+ idiots than any other types.

A totally unsuitable form of transport that comes from a bygone era. If the Bicycle was invented today it would never be allowed on the roads.

Yorkie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back