centre fire cleaning

tignme

I was shooting in pigeon hide with a long time buddy and the discussion about cleaning cf came around.
I use wipeout foam or wipeout on patches with a bore guide and cleaning rod.
I clean every 20 rounds.

my buddy uses 3 in 1 oil with a wire brush and cleans every 50 rounds.

The silly thing is he is and rifle is very accurate as is my setup.

Whos right.

If it works it works

I only use a bore snake on my 6.5 every outing and wipe the crown with an oily rag and it will outshoot me any day I do have full cleaning kit but never use it

And another boresnake user here. I pull my rifles through after each outing. Never cleaned them with anything else and they're both more accurate than I am :thumb:

Twice recently (unbelievably) I've made the mistake of cleaning a rifle because I felt I hadn't cleaned it in a while, possibly over a hundred rounds. Both times used a Hoppes copper solvent and a brush then patched until clean. One rifle is older and has a slightly pitted bore, it took about fifteen rounds before it started grouping again. The other has a fairly new barrel on it, maybe three hundred rounds, it has taken about thirty rounds to wise up again.
I always keep the crown shiny clean, mod never left on even after one shot, but I'll not be doing any deep cleaning of the latter rifle again until it tells me it needs it.

Last edited:
It definitely looks like we have two distinct camps on SD, those who clean meticulously and those that do as described above..... Funny how there's such polarised views on this one. But I'm sticking to what I know.

I always clean my centre fire rifles every time I use them but I guess I am somewhere in the middle as I only give them a quick clean as in I push a brush through a few times followed by a mop !
And I must say I have never had any problems in 30 years.

I always clean my centre fire rifles every time I use them but I guess I am somewhere in the middle as I only give them a quick clean as in I push a brush through a few times followed by a mop !
And I must say I have never had any problems in 30 years.

Little and often probably a better idea than treating them like a .22rf !

Little and often probably a better idea than treating them like a .22rf !

My .22 gets a pull through each time it's used, too. I'm not in the slightest bit anal about cleaning the bores, but I have to confess I don't like putting them away without at least taking the worst of the crap out of them

I use a wire brush and a few patches each time. It is more a case of getting the condensation out which I feel does help corrosion.

David.

Back