Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new rifle accuracy

new rifle accuracy

Right guys im after some advice, ill try to give as much information as possible without naming anyone however i need to get this issue resolved asap as its gone on now for 9 months.
    in January i purchased a brand new rifle from a reputable gun shop, not my local but some distance away as they offered the best deal on my old rifle in part ex. the new rifle arrived & looked good except it was medium varmint barrel shoehorned into a sporter stock bending the stock & putting pressure on the action, no problem the shop ordered the correct stock & told me to come back when it arrived & gave me a receipt for it as they had already entered it on my ticket. new stock arrived about a week later & i travelled down to collect it no problems this time . i went home loaded some ammo along with some factory rounds i had & went out to run it in cleaning every round then every 3 as normal & per recommendations, after about 60rds i was getting concerned as it wasn't grouping better than 5-6inches but assumed it was something simple. personal tragedy overtook events then i i didn't look at it again for some time but collected a varying range of ammo to test when next an opportunity arose , when this time came i checked stock screws mounts scope etc & proceeded with various factory rounds & normal load development with 2 powders & 2 weight heads but still to no avail only getting it down to about 3".
    i contacted the shop who were not interested & then the distributor who said to return it to the shop for them to check & if they couldn't get it to shoot for them to send it back to distributor. after a long time & many phone calls they sent it back without testing as they said they had no time, the distributor eventually confirmed a crowning problem & sent out another new replacement however somewhere along the line my brand new scope was damaged but no one cared & this had taken over 6 months in total.
    the new rifle was transferred to my local RFD as i hadn't yet processed my 1-4-1 as i didn't know until i arrived that it was a new rifle that had been sent, i purchased another load of different ammunition from a couple of places & made some home loads & took it out to run in & try but yet again it had the same problems & wouldn't group with any ammo below 3 inches.
    i called the retailer to return it who refused & now said i had to deal directly with the uk distributor however they did agree to this & arranged for it to be collected locally i enclosed a letter stating i no longer wished to have this rifle as i no longer had any confidence in it having had 2 without success & explained the costs incurred now amounted to over 300 in ammunition & several 160 mile round trips to the retailer & RFD.
    i then received a telephone call confirming that apparently this rifle also had a crowning issue & that it was being re-crowned & once tested would be returned, totally ignoring my letter.
    i then received a message stating it now fired 1" groups but only with a very specific ammo in a specific weight & that it didn't work with bullets above this weight & my RFD called the same day to say the gun was there waiting for me. i have collected the gun but after trying again tonight have failed to get it to shoot less than 2.5 inch group with the same head bullet as stated in the email. all testing & running in has been done off a bench-rest with 25mag scope at 100m for accuracy.
    im now at a loss as what to do i really like the action but its useless if it wont shoot & im feeling pressured into accepting something that is useless to me & the retailer is no longer interested what advice can you give me guys i'm feeling very disheartened & really cant afford the loss as im a student & money dose not come easy these days?

Sorry to hear about your dramas.
    do not accept the rifle, if there is a clear track-record of things going wrong with the dealership/riflesmith like you have been experiencing it is not fit for purpose.
    Most rifles should shoot sub 2" from new. And if the dealership/riflesmith are unable to help to get it to shoot, this will be a good indication of their own confidence of the rifle/workmanship.
    hope you get something sorted.

Would you let us know what make/model of rifle you purchased?
    edi

Do you think it's possible that there is anything wrong with the benchrest setup you're using? (I know it's not that likely, but one's instinct is to double check everything on the gun and perhaps miss out on other variables)
    It sounds pretty poor behaviour from the distributor that they couldn't do better than claim to make it work with only one load. As HowaU said...don't accept it. Google your consumer rights and faulty goods. I suspect you had a right to reject the second rifle when it went back to the distributor. Ultimately you may well have a case you can make a legal claim with. Making a "small claim" is not that hard and nearly shyster will behave very poorly and refuse to do the right thing all the way up until they receive your formal letter notifying them of your intent to make a court claim.
    Although it doesn't seem like it now, your consumer rights are extensive.

no we tested everything on a TIKKA alongside for comparison & that put almost all through the same hole or touching

Quote Originally Posted by Apthorpe View Post
    Do you think it's possible that there is anything wrong with the benchrest setup you're using? (I know it's not that likely, but one's instinct is to double check everything on the gun and perhaps miss out on other variables)
    It sounds pretty poor behaviour from the distributor that they couldn't do better than claim to make it work with only one load. As HowaU said...don't accept it. Google your consumer rights and faulty goods. I suspect you had a right to reject the second rifle when it went back to the distributor. Ultimately you may well have a case you can make a legal claim with. Making a "small claim" is not that hard and nearly shyster will behave very poorly and refuse to do the right thing all the way up until they receive your formal letter notifying them of your intent to make a court claim.
    Although it doesn't seem like it now, your consumer rights are extensive.

Looks like its a trip to trading standards for you. Good luck, whatever you have purchased would appear to be a bag of nails and is obviously not a one off issue. The retailer is the one you have to sort out, they sold it to you and they must take responsibility, morally and legally.

Then I guess the f***ing thing's broken then!
    It's a pain in the arse, but kick up a fuss and read up on making small claims. I did it over an issue with a dodgy offshore landlord and they were worse to deal with than your guys. Paid up something like 4k once they realised the problem was heading the wrong way.

Dear Sir,

i have now received two rifles and neither has performed to an acceptable standard. They are not fit for purpose and I no longer have faith in the product supplied so request a refund for the full amount paid.
    I have suffered other monetary loses associated with identifying the problems with your product and would further request the sum of 300 to compensate me for my losses.

my solicitors, billmore and leggit, will be instructed after 14days to commence recovery proceedings if no satisfactory response is received.

Yours
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

You are covered by "The sale of goods Act 1979" and "Consumer rights Act 2015". Both these acts make extended warranty a thing of the past and a total waste of money. You are covered with these acts up to 6 years!

I'm glad I only spent 400 on my howa now.
    I would be well pissed if this was me.
    I feel for you. A few years ago I had a problem with a lanber. It wouldn't always fire the second barrel and the shop tried to fix it 4 times.
    One day I was out decoying and it played up. I went straight to the shop and told the guy to shove it up his arse. A guy beside the counter said what's the problem. He got an ear full then said pick a gun from gmk St the same price and I will change it for you.
    That was good service. I ordered a silver pigeon and put 200 to it. Best gun I have had.

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk