Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reloading from scratch, just an empty work bench.

Reloading from scratch, just an empty work bench.

Right gents, I feel I've already derailed one thread quite enough so will start this one. Looking at possibly reloading for the first time ... ever. Probably only .204 due to ammo being a little scarce, and also costing up to 1.37 a go. More than likely only need to do 500+ a year, but who knows. What equipment will I need, where will I get it and how much will it cost. The budget is only really limited by the cost of factory ammo, no point in buying reloading gear that will cost more than travelling for ammo if I can't get it local, however I do realise it may take a while to recoup costs, if at all.
    Had some very helpful answers on the other thread, and I thank you, but thought it better if all on here, in one place so I can reference it.

What equipment?
    What components?
    Where from?
    How much?
    What else?

I'm in the same boat........ Same calibre aswell. I will watch with interest.

Buy a good reloading book and read it. "ABC's of Reloading" or the "Modern Reloading" by Lee. Asking what reloading equipment is best is like asking what flavor of ice cream is best. 100 different opinions for 100 responses. Read and decide: don't let others make your decision for you.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Buy a good reloading book and read it. "ABC's of Reloading" or the "Modern Reloading" by Lee. Asking what reloading equipment is best is like asking what flavor of ice cream is best. 100 different opinions for 100 responses. Read and decide: don't let others make your decision for you.~Muir

I suppose then, perhaps what equipment should I NOT buy maybe?

I was more of a what bits will I need than a what make type of question. But as above, anything NOT to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    I suppose then, perhaps what equipment should I NOT buy maybe?

I was more of a what bits will I need than a what make type of question. But as above, anything NOT to buy?
    I'll get in quick with this one before anyone bad mouths Lee gear and say that i used Lee presses and components for 20 years and i would consider that Lee are a cost effective way of getting into reloading. I will admit to being a dyed-in-the-wool Forster man now though.
    As Muir said, you'll get many many opinions so learn all you can about it and make your own choices.

Heard that said about Lee before, can you be more specific about why some run them down ? Obviously it will be just what you've overheard, as you wouldn't dream of slandering them.

Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    Heard that said about Lee before, can you be more specific about why some run them down ? Obviously it will be just what you've overheard, as you wouldn't dream of slandering them.
    For 500 rounds a year, any equipment will work. I have no problem with Lee equipment and own dozens of sets of Lee dies. A simple Lee press and set up will do for the limited amount of reloading you will be doing. (I load 500 rounds a week sometimes) I have never had a good experience with Hornady New Dimension reloading dies. Aside from that particular line of reloading gear, all of it has worked for me.~Muir

Lee stuff is good basic for your needs, if I was asked what to swerve, it would deffo be Hornady "New Dimension"!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Thanks and thanks So I could do worse than just buying a Lee kit off someone like Spud?

Lee single stage press, Lee dies, rcbs scale, any trickler (if you like being precise) vernier caliper from anywhere really.
    lee kit is ok, most of mine is Lee, makes good ammo that kills deer but the rcbs scales are easier and quicker to use than Lee ( better damping)
    i started with a Lee 4 hole turret press but now use a single stage Lee press.
    basic Lee case trimmer does the job for a couple of quid and you are good to go!

lee aniversary kit is a good starter kit with everything that you need.