Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Misfire

Misfire

Hi Hope someone can help. I purchased a tikka t3-223 of a forum member around eight weeks ago it had only fired 40 rounds. Well I eventually went to zero it last night, between laser treatment on eye, work and weather I could at last get out with it.
    Set up around 50 yards to get it on paper, using fedral 55g tried first round misfire, opened bolt very carefully, checked round, primer, had a very small dent in it. Tried another same. Then I tried sako 55g same two other misfires, all with small dents.
    When you dry fire it is crisp and solid, put a round in it is soft and slow with not enough force to fire. Stripped bolt cleaned nothing untoward. put back together and tried again tonight same again misfire.
    Any one have any idea what could be causing it.
    Thanks
    Jim

i'm no rifle smith but de-cock the bolt and see how much of the firing pin actually comes out of the bolt face after that i can only think its the spring that fires the pin fowards

Hi Tried and checked that today when I stripped the bolt, firing pin looked as it came out far enough when de-cocked. When you fire loaded rifle you can actually see red dot on bolt disappear very slowly.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    If you get failures to fire they may be due to light firing pin strikes. ... Insufficient firing pin protrusion can cause light hits. With the hammer or striker fully forward, measure the firing pin protrusion and compare that to the factory standard.

For a temporary solution, try removing the bolt shroud and firing the weapon without it installed. If the shroud is binding (especially with aftermarket shrouds), the gun won't go bang. Tikka's have relatively weak firing pin springs, which is one of the reasons they're so smooth to operate. They have plenty of power so long as nothing interferes with the firing pin. Just to make sure, when you reassemble the bolt, the interior should be free of grease and oils, right?

aslo, load a round to mag and then remove the mag from the rifle keeping the rifle pointed down range, when ready try to,fire the round,

you our can check this with a empty case in the rifle, fill the primer hole in a new case with blutac place in the chamber, close the bolt and see what the strike is like,

REMEMBER THIS MUST BE DONE WITH A TOTALLY SAFE EMPTY CASE,

you our may also,find that sear binding could be the cause,?

just a few pointers

bob
    Last edited by bobjs; 17-09-2016 at 20:19.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Strip the bolt, clean thoroughly, lubricate sparingly and see what happens. A pretty cheap procedure and migh be the cure. You might find washing the parts in petrol and scrubbing with a toothbrush might help. Be careful though, the spatter from the brush goes everywhere.

David.

Hi, Thanks bob I'll need to get an empty case from some ware to try.
    Jim

I had exactly the same issue with mt T3 just after i had fitted a new scope, i took it to my gunshop and explained the problem. They checked the bolt and all was fine, it turned out to be one of the screws securing the scope ring on was slightly fouling the bolt, they changed them around and the problem was sorted. Hope this helps.

If it's only fired 40 rounds it should virtually be new

did the previous owner have any problems with light strikes etc ?

I had a batch of home-loaded ammo that behaved like that. After 3 misfires I pulled the rest, and found I had missed one row of cases in the tray when measuring out the powder

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul walker View Post
    I had exactly the same issue with mt T3 just after i had fitted a new scope, i took it to my gunshop and explained the problem. They checked the bolt and all was fine, it turned out to be one of the screws securing the scope ring on was slightly fouling the bolt, they changed them around and the problem was sorted. Hope this helps.

i had this many years ago with a tikka 595 the very front screw was a tad long a top man on this forum talked me through it and it was one of the best rifles I have ever owned,

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube