17hmr v wmr

bobby18

Can anybody tell me if there is much difference in trajectory between these two calibres ,if so what would be the difference.Plus are there ammo issues with the wmr the same as hmr.

Last edited:
Not as flat as HMR but point and shoot for a rabbit's head from 25 - 115 yards with 35 gr v-max; no issues with ammo as in HMR arises from the necking down process, WMR is straight walled; ammo choice from 25, 30, 33, 40 & 50 gr; ammo choice from polymer tip, hollow point, soft point, FMJ; and the best bit you can own them in a semi auto.

Guess which I prefer??

+2 for Boydy47. WMR is ace on rabbits out to 150yds and better on a fox that just appears when you weren't expecting it. Much less wind affected, but the downside would be more ricochet-prone compared with .17HMR's frangible bullets. Both as noisy as a .223....

I think purely on the issues I've heard regarding ammo with .17hmr alone ...I would avoid and go either .22wmr Or a .22 hornet

Paul

Past issues with HMR ammo appear to have been rectified anyway. Try the Advanced Search Bobby.

If you do decide on the WMR i have a CZ sitting here you can have for £150. Very good condition, just dont use it anymore. Would need to be f2f or rfd costs covered by buyer for that price.

The ammo problems were real, but never as widespread as you might think. It does seem to be historical now though. With 4 years use, my .17hmr has never missed a beat. The ammunition is widely available and for those reasons I would go .17. But I have to confess not much experience with WMR.

The other downside is WMR's are much more scarce so I would assume, harder to find a good used one or move one on. 424 HMR vs 19 WMR on Guntrader....

Back