Thread: Crimping

Red face Crimping

Hi All,
    After reading all I can find on the subject , including an excellent explanation of the advantages of crimping and the effects on SD and ES by Muir .l've decided to purchase a Lee crimping die.
    I can find basic set up imfo but nothing more than that .
    I'm sure there are those on the forum with a wealth of experience using one of these , is it as simple as ? I'm using non cannelured bullets .
    All advice welcome and apologies if it's already been covered.
    Regards and TA in advance.
    Mark

Hi Mark,

I used to crimp all my reloaded rounds, using a Lee Factory die. I have stopped do it as it makes a mess of the neck of the cases.

I am now running my cases through a Lee Collet Neck Sizing die, and relying on the neck tension. For hunting that appears to give me sufficient accuracy, although I haven't fully zeroed my .30-06 on the range.

I seat my bullets to the OAL of the rifle, irrespective of whether the bullet is cannelured or not.

Best Wishes

John
    Last edited by brunel-999; 18-09-2016 at 07:37.

Quote Originally Posted by brunel-999 View Post
    Hi Mark,

I used to crimp all my reloaded rounds, using a Lee Factory die. I have stopped do it as it makes a mess of the neck of the cases.

I am now running my cases through a Lee Collet Neck Sizing die, and relying on the neck tension. For hunting that appears to give me sufficient accuracy, although I haven't fully zeroed my .30-06 on the range.

I seat my bullets to the OAL of the rifle, irrespective of whether the bullet is cannelured or not.

Best Wishes

John
    I also didn't like messing up the cases. I'm perfectly happy with the performance of my collet neck sized uncrimped rounds. I have got very low velocity deviations with some of my loads.

Hi All,
    Thanks for your replies, I've somehow managed to start this post twice. On the other posting the advice is the opposite. ��
    I think I'm going to have to try a few ,since this is a long range vermin/fox I think I'll bump the shoulders using a F/L die rather than neck size , though I hear good things about the collet dies.
    Cheers all