Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting Ducks

Shooting Ducks

I have been asked to thin out a population of Tufties on a fishing lake.
    As they never come within 12 bore range, is it ok to use a rifle as I do for the Canada Geese??

Snorkel and speargun!
    I really wouldn't fire a rifle across water.

I was asking whether it was legal....Not if there was a suitable backstop !!!

Mk IV Spearfish torpedo again?
    I never make the same mistake twice.

I make it five or six times.

Just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertie Dastard View Post
    I have been asked to thin out a population of Tufties on a fishing lake.
    As they never come within 12 bore range, is it ok to use a rifle as I do for the Canada Geese??
    I would have thought whoever 'asked you' should apply for a licence on your behalf including a risk assessment.
    If it is granted then it will be legal within the terms of the licence and risks like the Canada Geese you shoot...

Quote Originally Posted by Bertie Dastard View Post
    I was asking whether it was legal....Not if there was a suitable backstop !!!
    Legal or not, I'd think any police force hearing of you firing over water would have your licence revoked immediately. On the plus side it's obviously good reason to get a colossal punt gun.
    Another of those situations where it's pretty unreasonable that we can't possess light mortars - which would also be ideal for corvids.

There is nothing in the legislation to say you cannot shoot wildfowl with a rifle - its not particularly sporting mind. I would question why you want to get rid of lots of tufties as they are not a fish eater like a goosander or other sawbills. They are on the quarry list, but not particularly good eating.

A friend who is a wildlife manager has had a big problem with feral and semi tame mallard and has culled a lot with a 17 HMR - head shots so that they can then be fed to falcons that he also breeds.

Personally, I would try some decoys and decoy them - tufties like to flock and should decoy well within range of a shotgun. Two or three sessions and they will soon get the idea and disappear.
    Last edited by Heym SR20; 18-09-2016 at 17:35.

To which license do you refer?

I shoot Canadas under the general license terms.

Tufted Ducks can be shot in the appropriate season..(with a shotgun).
    The only thing I can find relates to the magazine capacity of the gun. Not the type of gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    There is nothing in the legislation to say you cannot shoot wildfowl with a rifle - its not particularly sporting mind. I would question why you want to get rid of lots of tufties as they are not a fish eater like a goosander or other sawbills. They are on the quarry list, but not particularly good eating.

A friend who is a wildlife manager has had a big problem with feral and semi tame mallard and has culled a lot with a 17 HMR - head shots so that they can then be fed to falcons that he also breeds.

Personally, I would try some decoys and decoy them - tufties like to flock and should decoy well within range of a shotgun. Two or three sessions and they will soon get the idea and disappear.
    The problem is them diving on Anglers baits and becoming hooked which causes mayhem.
    As they are paying 500 quid a year for the privilege to fish and bait is 6 per kilo they get pi$$ed off, as we bailiffs do when retrieving snagged lines.
    With no predators they have bred out of control and increase each year
    I have to disagree about the culinary properties of them. The breasts are delicious pan fried !!

Go out in a boat and use a shotgun