Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .223

Has anyone ever loaded .223 with lead bullets at sub-sonic velocities.
    I am pondering the possibilities.
    Would the average common barrel twist rate suit lead bullets?

Not done it with .223 myself but you might find this article of interest: https://www.loaddata.com/articles/PD...iland%20LR.pdf

I think there are a couple of guys on the Full-Bore U.K. forum who do so. I believe mainly for reduced loads on indoor pistol ranges.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Not done it with .223 myself but you might find this article of interest: https://www.loaddata.com/articles/PD...iland%20LR.pdf
    Thanks for the link Orion,very interesting. I have only ever used H4895 for reduced loads.I may well try this out with the .223

You're welcome.

I've experimented with the .308 and Trail Boss and the results were 'interesting'! I'm going to be giving it a go with the 300 AAC Blackout (300BLK) Ruger American Ranch Rifle when it arrives, and I hear that the Speer 220gr Matchking is the one to try. Muir has posted some favourable things about the cartridge and it looks very capable over a wide range of .30 calibre bullets, if not 'big deer' legal in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    You're welcome.

I've experimented with the .308 and Trail Boss and the results were 'interesting'! I'm going to be giving it a go with the 300 AAC Blackout (300BLK) Ruger American Ranch Rifle when it arrives, and I hear that the Speer 220gr Matchking is the one to try. Muir has posted some favourable things about the cartridge and it looks very capable over a wide range of .30 calibre bullets, if not 'big deer' legal in the UK.
    Yes, I found when dealing with Roe close to property with H4895 reduced loads,the minimum requirement of 2450fps, here in Scotland came into play quite quickly and trajectory had to be carefully checked against range. So they were not subsonic, but certainly sweet to fire.
    The full reduction to 60% of maximum load could be achieved on the range,all be it, the case necks were a bit smoky which is to be expected on such a reduced load, Trail Boss might very well be different....

Quote Originally Posted by BRYAN View Post
    Has anyone ever loaded .223 with lead bullets at sub-sonic velocities.
    I am pondering the possibilities.
    Would the average common barrel twist rate suit lead bullets?
    Subsonic loads work better with heavier projectiles from my findings using jacketed bullets, I don't fancy firing cast lead bullets through the barrel. Orion posted a great link, the Hodgdon website has a PDF https://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail-Bo...oads%20R_P.pdf with more calibres listed. But read the instructions at the top and you can make subsonic loads for any calibre and bullet weight.

I have shot a lot of cast bullets through 223 but usually for high velocities. I'd look for an 8" twist. ~Muir

For downloading, I found the H&N copper washed bullets to be pretty good. They have a max recommended velocity of 1600fps, but I push them at about 1300 when on the indoor range. This is from my CZ527 in .222, over both Trailboss and Unique I think.

Unfortunately not available in the UK, but stopper.de are good value and deliver in a reasonable time.

http://www.stopper.de/index.php/cPat...ed-rifles.html

I think I have some in 45gr and 55gr, so can send you some to try if you pm me your address.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by markyw; 21-09-2016 at 07:46.

I don't have a .223. I am thinking of selling my Tikka M55 .308 and down sizing. Also th .308 is range conditioned.
    I am wanting something to replace it that is also for field shooting.
    It was assumed that a faster barrel twist might be needed for longer ranges at higher velocity.