Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Muntjac killing people.

Muntjac killing people.

I love these alarmist headlines in the newspapers. First we had boar digging up graves now we have muntjac killing people. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ng-people.html

You don't think that perhaps the press may just over sensationalise things just ever so slightly?
    Last edited by 8x57; 20-09-2016 at 08:15.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Joking aside, I was on a shoot where a chap got ran into by a decent sized muntjac buck which knocked him flying! When he got up he was bleeding quite badly from his inner thigh and his tweed breeks were cut open. They got him to hospital where they discovered the muntjac tusk had just missed his Femoral Artery by about 1/4".
    That would have been most likely fatal out in the field. Kill or be killed!
    MS

You would think with so many big cats roaming around they would keep them under control,
    DONT START

Tikka 308 on here will tell you of an incident he had a few years back on one of my areas with a snotty Muntjac buck!!
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

I think they must have it on a 5 year cycle?
    I've had this as part of a DSC 1 lecture which I've now added the latest one!
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ster-ever.html
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    I think they must have it on a 5 year cycle?
    I've had this as part of a DSC 1 lecture which I've now added the latest one!
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ster-ever.html
    MS
    I think people sometimes misjudge deer, especially at certain times of the year (rut). Deer in my opinion are to a certain extent like people, some have an attitude and with Sika stags in particular they can be very aggressive, especially when wounded. Muntjac I have had no issue with personally, and I know that the Muntjac Tikka 308 had an incident with was annoyed and becoming quite aggressive towards him whilst he was waiting in a hedge.

As for Muntjac killing someone deliberately not true, but as with stalking you never know what is going to happen, and I am sure, like me you have had some suprising moments with deer that do not fit in with the general rule of thumb.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

The Daily Mail is a shocking publication, th eonline version even worse. At least the paper version could be used for litter trays

Malc I think you are quite right about people misjudging deer, all deer have the ability to cause you serious damage in one way or another if you get close to them, and MS these stories do look as if they go around in cycles to be re-run every so often.

Buchan I don't know how you can make such an outrageous claim. You're spot on about the online version being even worse than the paper version, crikey there's no difference between the Mail and the Sun these days. They even make the Daily Sport look like a broadsheet.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I think the reference to deer killing and injuring people is in reference to road accidents caused by deer, but as above dont underestimate any deer they do have the ability to cause injury and even death
    Ray

We got guy at work few years ago he trashed his 11 plate VW van in Suffolk , one cost him 500 excess as no other cars were to blame, the Hire co said he should have seen the deer running in the trees then out in front of him at four in the morning