Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How often should a rifle barrel be cleaned?

How often should a rifle barrel be cleaned?

Hi folks,

As the title says, how often should it be cleaned? I've whacked roughly 300 rounds down my new 308 Sako A7 over the last year and haven't cleaned it once apart from oiling the outside of the barrel and action.

Would giving it a clean make my groups tighter?

Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How are the groups at the moment? If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Are you using factory rounds? Have you tried different brands, bullet weights, etc? Do you reload? There are a hundred variables that can affect how a rifle shoots, and a hundred more ways you can try to improve your groups. Unless the grouping's gradually been opening up, and no other cause can be suspected, I'd be inclined to leave it alone and just give it a pull through with a boresnake or similar. Stand by though, you're about to get a hundred different answers to the same question
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

every time its fired/outing.

Quote Originally Posted by triggersqueezer View Post
    every time its fired/outing.
    I am with this approach. After shooting run a patch soaked with hoppes down the bore. Leave it half an hour and the patch out with three dry patches. Final patch with a drop of light oil. Put it away and no worries re fouling soaking up moisture and causing rust and pitting. Barrels don't build copper fouling either. When taking gun out, run a patch through with lighter fluid. I know that all my rifles shoot to point of aim from a clean bore.

I am only using a rifle once a fortnight hence this regime works for me.

I would say it's due a proper clean. De-copper it down to bare metal and then put 10 or 15 rounds through it before check zeroing. It should be good for another 300 rounds after that. Without a good clean you may find that the accuracy goes off without warning. Been there, done that! Running a oiled patch through it isn't worth the hassle IMO and achieves nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
    Hi folks,and

Would giving it a clean make my groups tighter?

Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If it was as simp!e as that,I would clean mine more often afraid any lack of accuracy is down to me rather than any cleaning of the barrel.

Don't think there is a simple answer to your question ,you just need to find a regime that suits you and your rifle, there are so many variables , some rifles shoot better clean, some need a couple of fouling shots to achieve the best results,how often do you use your rifle ,a rifle that's used every day will need cleaned less often than one that's only used
    infrequently.

300 rounds and a year wants a birthday clean.

barrels shouldn't be fired with oil in them.
    leave some moisture absorbing sachets in your cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by Milligan View Post
    300 rounds and a year wants a birthday clean.

barrels shouldn't be fired with oil in them.
    leave some moisture absorbing sachets in your cabinet.
    Yep asking for trouble there, I patch mine out after each outing with a light oil (ballistol) removes pretty much everything then dry patch until clean (no oil residue) works for me once more its quick and easy.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    I use kroil after every outing be that 1 shot or loads of shots.

but I leave the bore and chamber clear of oil at all times,

I also use a small amount of grease on the bolts running surfaces just to keep them slick,

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

In terms of end result there seems to be little difference. I am a regular cleaner, mod off after each outing, clean with hoopes, jag, brush and patches with bore guide and proper rod after roughly every 20 rounds on sako A7 308. My mate is the exact opposite, he has never taken the mod off, never cleans his rifle (ever) and no issue on his sako 85 in 308. You must do what suits you. I always shot a foul round and check zero too after a clean.