Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which reloading dies ?

Which reloading dies ?

Any recommendations for which 243 WIN dies to get for a RCBS rock chucker ?

Are competition dies with the micrometer adjustments better ?

Thanks

Lloyd

Competition dies are an expensive luxury that do not produce any better ammo then standard dies, they are just easier to use if you seek ultimate precision
    Having used dies from all makers i would be happy with any from RCBS, Redding Hornady and Forster but my Preference would be a Redding Type S Bushing Neck size die and a Forster Micrometre Benchrest seater easily available in 243.
    Lee dies load ammo as accurate as any of the others but they are cheap and lack the quality of the others, dont be seduced by the talk of the Lee Collet die, they are a sound concept poorly executed by Lee, you have a 50-50 chance of them sizing the neck correctly and may need fettling to work correctly

Ian

You will be hard pressed excuse the pun to beat the lee dies and the deluxe set like this covers everything you will ever need are simple to use and cheap to boot I have used them for many years and have turned out 1000s of accurate ammunition brilliant stuff whats not to like......

https://www.fishingmegastore.com/lee...win~22861.html

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Competition dies are an expensive luxury that do not produce any better ammo then standard dies, they are just easier to use if you seek ultimate precision
    Having used dies from all makers i would be happy with any from RCBS, Redding Hornady and Forster but my Preference would be a Redding Type S Bushing Neck size die and a Forster Micrometre Benchrest seater easily available in 243.
    Lee dies load ammo as accurate as any of the others but they are cheap and lack the quality of the others, dont be seduced by the talk of the Lee Collet die, they are a sound concept poorly executed by Lee, you have a 50-50 chance of them sizing the neck correctly and may need fettling to work correctly

Ian
    Just about mirrors my views
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

SD Regular
    What he says +1. In fact I found that I find a combination of bullet weight and seating depth that works and then lock-up the die tight, stick a paper label around ith, write on the bullet it is adjusted for and don't touch it.

That's the beauty of RCBS, Lyman, Redding lock rings. You can lock-up the die tight yet it will still screw in and out of your press. If I then want to set up another bullet weight I just buy another, on its own, seating die and set that up the same way.

For my .270 WCF I had two dies so set. A 140 grain and a 150 grain. For my .303 Enfield just one die set up that way as I only ever shot 174 grain FMJ.

You can't get that precision repeatability with Lee dies with their factory lock ring. Regardless of what the Lee "fan boys" will tell you their lock rings won't allow that method of reloading. That true benefit of being able to unscrew a die fully set up from the press and screw it back in with the seating and crimping (or not) remaining absolutely as last used.

If you do it that way you truly don't need micrometer dies. Also learn to read your die. How many turns, or part turns, of the seating plug alter the seating depth of that bullet. Again Lee dies that don't have a screw slot on the seating plug don't offer that visual check on if you've turned 1/8th turn or 1/4th turn and so on.

I like Lee Factory Crimp dies but I don't rate their rifle loading dies at all because of this little benefits that RCBS, Lyman and Redding have by the nature of their lock ring and seater plug set up. If you do get them chuck the lock rings away and get third party lock rings that have a screw to tighten them around the die.

And I don't like Hornady's version of Forster/Bonanza dies with the drop down sleeve either. It's a bloody PITA!
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 21-09-2016 at 22:17.

Thank you all, especially Enfield!

I I think I will try to look on YouTube of how exactly they are used.

I assume with with the micrometer seating die I can set exactly the seating depth. Assuming on others you adjust it to approx, seat the bullet, remove it and measure the over all length ?

Was wondering how you would repeatedly measure the depth your seating to if swapping the dies over for each stage etc!

SD Regular
    To adjust seating depth you turn in the bullet seating plug. What I do is seat the bullet 'out' then gradually with no actual round in the die turn the scree 'in'. Then run the cartridge up in to it. Take it out and measure it. Repeat until desired overall length achieved.

For, as you can seat and re-seat the same one cartridge and bullet idefinitely, you just measure that one round until you've reached the overall lngth you want. In that same way you'd also set up the die to seat a bullet to place its cannelure level with the cartridge's case mouth. Then when you've achieved the overall ength you want you 'lock' the seater plug using its locking ring.

Lee dies don't have a locking ring on the seater plug. That's why I don't favour them. No matter how careful you are if you can't lock it eventually you'll by accident alter it.l
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 22-09-2016 at 02:21.

My own view is RCBS & Redding make very good dies. Somewhat more expensive than Lee, but they offer good adjustment both for the decapping/expander rod & bullet seating plug.

My best advice is not so much whose dies you buy, but how you set them up. Care setting up accurately pays.

A Universal decapping die such as Lee makes is a very useful die to have.
    I use one & decap as a separate operation and when resizing the cases, have the expander/decap rod backed right off almost as far as it goes.
    The expander ball then just fits through the neck helping case neck & case body alignment.

I like the competition bullet seating dies.
    The Redding is good, but you need a lot of space under the die & within the press to use it easily and unless design has changed, the Rockchukker doesn't have quite enough space, so using this die in a Rockchukker is more fiddly.

The RCBS competition seating die has a 'window' in the upper side of the die allowing a bullet to be dropped into the collar/case neck & is much more convenient when used with a Rockchukker press.

In terms of finished cartridge, neither of the above bullet seater is better than the other.
    To me, they (Competition dies) are useful and I have one of each, for each cartridge I load.

You can seat bullets perfectly well with ordinary seating dies, so unless you really want the micrometer adjustment, try a standard die first.
    Last edited by deeangeo; 22-09-2016 at 04:09.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Are you referring to the rubber gasket lee uses to lock the ring in place not being secure enough? Lee make a secure lock for their breech lock system which makes it easier to swap dies. This is of course if you are using a Lee press too.

http://leeprecision.com/lock-ring-eliminator.html

Check out the video on the page.