Bleaching time

User00003

Hi,

When having covered a roe skull in cotton wool, how long do you guys leave it to soak with 6% H202? I've heard from 20 mins to 24 hrs!

I leave mine overnight, i wrap a plastic bag around the soaked cotton wool - keeps everything moist and hey presto a nice bleached skull to wake up to and add to the collection.....

You guys using 6%? one Boots refused to sell my 6% H202 because it was not for gargling or skin infection!! ha ha ha

Boots pharmacy section sells the 6%, but stronger I dunno. Tell them it's for a skin infection, otherwise they'll refuse to sell it to you!! not even joking!!

i did my first buck the other week, after boiling i gave it a clean round then i wrapped it in white toilet paper, filling the brain cavity/eye sockets then tipped the peroxide onto the paper then sat it in a bucket over night for 12 hours and it came out great, i then left it in the hot sun all day and it was done by the evening.really pleased with it for my first attempt.

hi,

i normally let the skull dry for 24 hours after its boiled to allow it to dry fully
i then cover in cotton wool and bog roll with hp 6% for 24hours.
can buy over the counter at any pharmacy and if you ask them they normally will buy in the litre bottles.
also if you look up yellow pages for hairdressing supplies you can get stronger stuff but i find it sometimes damages the antlers..

atb frank

no, the antlers had velvet on them and i cleaned it off, the antlers are wet because i bleach the heads as soon as they are clean. the antlers can be coloured up later.
View attachment 1633
these antlers were covered in velvet and i just power washed it off then coloured them at a later date.

hi,

i normally let the skull dry for 24 hours after its boiled to allow it to dry fully
i then cover in cotton wool and bog roll with hp 6% for 24hours.
can buy over the counter at any pharmacy and if you ask them they normally will buy in the litre bottles.
also if you look up yellow pages for hairdressing supplies you can get stronger stuff but i find it sometimes damages the antlers..

atb frank

Frank, you will get better results with the peroxide if you apply it when the skull is still damp.

If any of you have continental contacts they can get much stronger peroxide 60% but use rubber gloves bleaches a skull
in around twenty minutes, I don't use Kitchen towel or cotton wool but have a Tupperware tub that will hold a head upright
put head in tub fill with peroxide up to coronets, advantage of this method is I can use the peroxide several times up to twenty if using the stronger stuff, less waste.

A word of warning some people are using household bleach DON'T! though it appears to be OK at first after a period of time
[ often several months] the skull will start to crumble.

I find the best material to use are the cotton wool pads the Mrs uses to remove make up. If you pull them in half to make them thinner they make a fantastic wrap and you dont need as much peroxide. I usually put it on with a syringe so it all gets some and I waste little

I use 40% peroxide i cover when skull is dry and let soak for 1 hour then i remove the rap and rinse . Let it dry and job done. My hair dresser cant get the 60% any more as it was that strenghth that was used buy terrorists to make bomb,s ,:eek: about the goloves thing good advice it burns like **** if you get it on you.

Back