Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: renewal asking where you keep your keys

renewal asking where you keep your keys

had my visit for my fac renewal today and one of the questions was where do i keep my keys in case i snuff it so they can remove my guns with little fuss
    They did say i didn't have to answer so i didn't is this a new thing or are they just to trip you up and disclose where the keys are

Tell the local old bill where I leave unattended keys? Never. As far as anyone is concerned the keys are with me permanently.
    .243 Weatherby Vanguard Synth /.223 BRNO CZ527 Synthetic
    .22LR CZ 455 Synth / 12G Stoeger 2000 / 12G U/O Bettinsoli
    12G Zoli SBS / .410 unknown Italian

SD Regular
    My spare keys are in a sealed envelope at a local RFD. With instructions in my will that on my decease he is to sell those which my son does not wish to keep, retain 500 himself for the trouble, and pay the rest to my son. My two pistols are, in any case, with that RFD as s7 "Historical Weapons".

I got asked the same question and others. One was do you have any illegally held firearms- no. Do you have any pistols - no.

seemed strange as they tell you not disclose where you keep your keys to anyone

Quote Originally Posted by Davie_M View Post
    seemed strange as they tell you not disclose where you keep your keys to anyone
    Not even the FEO. IF you tell the FEO where you keep the keys, you might not have your certificate renewed, unless you tell him/her they are kept in the safe and the pin code is none of his/her business.

really strange question and no way I would tell them. I have instructions in a sealed envelope with my Will.

You are obliged to tell no-one where you keep your keys - people have been dying for ages and no-one, (so far as I know) has died as a result of a deceased's weapons getting into the wrong hands.
    I am tempted to swear but lets just say - on your bike, the law has no rights to this information.

Quote Originally Posted by Brimfire View Post
    Not even the FEO. IF you tell the FEO where you keep the keys, you might not have your certificate renewed, unless you tell him/her they are kept in the safe and the pin code is none of his/her business.
    Nonsense, i told the last FEO where my various safe keys were hidden, and got tickets renewed no prob's even gave me a couple of extra slots.
    I didn't see any harm in it. As he has no access to my house and can see it making sense if no one else knows where ur keys are when ur time comes (hopefully not for a while yet).
    He said keeps that info written and locked in his filing cabinet at work so no one else has access to it and not on any computers

Must admit i've moved since then and with the new way polis scotland do it i wouldn't inform them again as no longer have FT FEO's so too much chance of it being passed about.

May be different with other forces but definately wasnae a trick question with me.
    If in any doubt u could ask basc the legal situation

not good to have a std non secure place any way if one of your family finds them then technically you have a problem if you never change it

FEO has no legal right or need to know the Security of your guns is legally solely your personal responsibility