Muzzle up or down in the cabinet?

Up or Down?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Woodsmoke

Rather than hijack Alex' rife cleaning thread any further, I thought I'd post a poll about the muzzle up/muzzle down storing subject that cropped up. For myself, it has to be muzzle up. I'd be really interested to see the split between up and down though :thumb:

Edit: Rifles-only. Just 'because' ;)

Last edited:
can someone explain why muzzle down would damage the crown - genuine question!

Having the rifle muzzle resting on a soft surface wont damage it in the slightest. For me though, the risk is accidentally knocking the crown against the cabinet while you're putting the rifle in. I place my rifles in the cabinet muzzle-up, and have my thumb over the crown as it just feels convenient. I just wouldn't consider placing them muzzle down. Maybe that's down to my background a an RAF armourer though? Wonder if other ex-military types are muzzle-up too? :-|

For the military its probably to do with habit forming, if the norm is muzzel down a squaddie could easily
do it on soft ground and block barrel

Maybe that's down to my background a an RAF armourer though? Wonder if other ex-military types are muzzle-up too? :-|

Possibly though I am an ex RAF plumber too (admittedly for only a very short period of time).
Nice to see row after row of SLRs, LMGs and SMGs in the armoury pity they wouldn't allow us to use them though.

Muzzle up on everything , wood and blued shotguns muzzle up also but in a full length gun sock

do do people leave oil in the barrels of shotguns that can run down ?

I clean all my guns but there's never enough on there to run just a very light close to dry film

Back