Springer Spaniel pup

penta

This will be my first ever, Springer Spaniel. Had worked Labradors before !!. I know they are chalk and cheese.
But hopefully , he will be alright, just have to let him be a puppy. And bring him on slowly. It will be another 4 weeks, until he can leave his mother. Really looking forward to that.
Any tips would be grateful, if you have knowledge on this breed .
Here he Is.

Hi Penta. Nice looking pup if its anything like mine he will lose most of the white on his ear. Enjoy him. Basics same as labs steadiness is most important before you start any advanced work with him. It's good timing you will be coming into spring time when he's ready to start more advanced stuff.
Jim

Hi Penta. Nice looking pup if its anything like mine he will lose most of the white on his ear. Enjoy him. Basics same as labs steadiness is most important before you start any advanced work with him. It's good timing you will be coming into spring time when he's ready to start more advanced stuff.
Jim

Thanks Jim, that's my thoughts also !! I'll be sending you a p,m . Soon , no doubt . :)

Yep. For the next 12 years or so :lol: You know what they say, A Lab' is born half-trained, and a spaniel will die half-trained :lol:

Good luck with him. He looks to be a wee cracker :thumb:

Haha, that's an excellent quote. Never heard that one before.

Yep. For the next 12 years or so :lol: You know what they say, A Lab' is born half-trained, and a spaniel will die half-trained :lol: if ur lucky

Good luck with him. He looks to be a wee cracker :thumb:
Fixed it for u woodsmoke.

Wot sort of lines/breeding is it? FT or working?
Looks very white from the photos

Depending how experienced u are with dogs i'd recommend joiniing a training club or getting a few lesson of a decent trainer.
Worth every penny even if u have a bit of experience

Wouldn't be without mine now.
Some great tips on the thread....Mine for what its worth...
Get some good advice/training from an experienced trainer
Get the pup steady before anything and everything else will follow
Train them to sit at the base of a hi seat for extended periods of time (time consuming but worth it!)
Make it fun for them!
and most of all...enjoy every minute with them!
017929c4ca283a687efd9682e0fa3aeac98196e0b6.jpg

Wouldn't be without mine now.
Some great tips on the thread....Mine for what its worth...
Get some good advice/training from an experienced trainer
Get the pup steady before anything and everything else will follow
Train them to sit at the base of a hi seat for extended periods of time (time consuming but worth it!)
Make it fun for them!
and most of all...enjoy every minute with them!
View attachment 74807

Nice looking spaniel, you have there. And thanks to you and other members, for the tips.

nice looking pup. They never seem to calm down completely even when they get well into double figures. But thats what makes them fun. The quickest way to tire them out is to mke them think, otherwise they get bored. Pictures like that make me want another one.

Lovely looking pup, we had our first springer a few years ago and she is now 3

There was no end of advice available about training but the one but that made sense to me was to start conditioning there behaviour as soon as you bring them home

We were always going to whistle train so once the dog was home if it sat naturally a quick sit command either by whistle or verbally if it runs to you then your recall command either by whistle or verbally

That way the command and behaviour are associated from a very young age and things are a lot easier when starting to train properly and make commands non negotiable

Of course there will be plenty who disagree and say dont start training them until six months or longer but I can think of half a dozen springers all from the same parents in close family ownership and all waited to start training and have dogs they have very little control over other than the most basic commands

They are massively intelligent and learn quickly, but that means they learn bad behaviour is acceptable if they can get away with it and are bored through lack of attention just as easily as they learn commands and good behaviour

Back