Taking quad trailer tyres of rims by hand? Possible?

countrryboy

Alright

Was just wondering if its possible/easy to take quad trailer tyres of the rims by hand?
Do u need many hand tools?
Is it easy to break the bead?

To make life more complicated the tyres are badly perished and the rims are a bit rusty at the valve so really needs a bit of TLC/ overhaul. Got sort of caught out on an auction site (not that 1) with a twin axle off road quad trailer
I took the last 1 in to local tyre shop and they weren't alowed to put the old tyre back on ven thou its off road tyre, cost me 50 quidproblem is its a twin axle trailer so looking at another 150 to do the lot.

Was hoping i could ease them off gently myself and mibee weld and redrill the valve holes and rub down/spray ther rims and put the old tyres back on or tube them.
But no idea how hard it will be to get the tyres off, have heard the fitters moan about smaller tyres saying there worse

Cheers

perished tires will give you grief, punctures. Cut them off and replace with cheap/ second hand ones

You can buy new rims and tyres cheaper than you can buy tyres alone. I have been in the same situation and I was cheaper to replace the whole lot.

Trailer doesn't get a lot of use, thought it would be great with the twin axles and it is but a good bit heavier than my old trailer and too bloody wide for all the bridges i've made.
I thought i had it for the right money and spoke to the old boy that sold it said every thing was ok, old bugger, really puts an extra 200 quid on trailer but about 2 hrs away so too far to have a look. Lesson learnt

How do u make sure if u buy new wheels the studs are in the same place? Or all studs in the same place on small quad axles?

Is it easy enough to put 2nd hand ones on urself? Or better just biting the bullet and paying the fitters?

Personally I would get someone to do it but I don't have much patience for stuff like that. I would imagine the PCD (distance between wheel studs) will be 4" or 100mm. One of them has a grease nipple but can't remember which way round it is.

Thirty years ago I used to change my tyres on my old mini,
Placed the wheel and tyre against the garage door brick piller and put a bottle jack against the opposite piller(small side door not main door) and jacked the tyre of the bead with a bottle jack then removed the tyre with steel bars
Things you do to save a fiver when your skint!!
Good old days.

The low pressure tyres are a nightmare for diy, unless there is a compelling reason for them just fit
car wheels and tyres

Hydraulic log splitters are handy for breaking beads!, personally i do mine with good old angle iron and a heavy hammer!then two decent tyre levers, just treat them the same as most other large tyres! on the few rare occasions ive been really stuck, the loader or forks on a tractor! i dont find small tyres that hard to do? fairy liquid helps get them back on once the rims are clean, or just chop them off the rims. Theres many ways.

Chris

Alright

Was just wondering if its possible/easy to take quad trailer tyres of the rims by hand?
Do u need many hand tools?
Is it easy to break the bead?

To make life more complicated the tyres are badly perished and the rims are a bit rusty at the valve so really needs a bit of TLC/ overhaul. Got sort of caught out on an auction site (not that 1) with a twin axle off road quad trailer
I took the last 1 in to local tyre shop and they weren't alowed to put the old tyre back on ven thou its off road tyre, cost me 50 quidproblem is its a twin axle trailer so looking at another 150 to do the lot.

Was hoping i could ease them off gently myself and mibee weld and redrill the valve holes and rub down/spray ther rims and put the old tyres back on or tube them.
But no idea how hard it will be to get the tyres off, have heard the fitters moan about smaller tyres saying there worse

Cheers

If there is a lot of titivating work to do on each wheel, probably worth checking out a local trailer centre for new wheels and tyres as already suggested...I managed to buy a new wheel with tyre fitted for the little fergy cheaper than a new tyre plus the cost of fitting and old cover disposal. And I still had the original old rim to refurbish at my leisure.

To get the correct wheels measure the stud centres...(measure them all and average your findings) and measure the position of the wheel centre relative to the rim. Or....take one to your local trailer centre and let them match it.

Alan

Last edited:
Hydraulic log splitters are handy for breaking beads!, personally i do mine with good old angle iron and a heavy hammer!then two decent tyre levers, just treat them the same as most other large tyres! on the few rare occasions ive been really stuck, the loader or forks on a tractor! i dont find small tyres that hard to do? fairy liquid helps get them back on once the rims are clean, or just chop them off the rims. Theres many ways.

Chris
i have a bead breaker from my racing days but before that used angle iron and hammer same as you worked a treat on mowers and tractors Atb wayne

i have a bead breaker from my racing days but before that used angle iron and hammer same as you worked a treat on mowers and tractors Atb wayne

The old boy I used to watch always just whacked them directly with a lump hammer...how do you use the angle iron?

Alan

The old boy I used to watch always just whacked them directly with a lump hammer...how do you use the angle iron?

Alan

Get a piece of angle iron roughly 3-4" square, lay the tyre/wheel flat on the ground. lay the angle iron on the tyre, right on the edge of the rim as to create a peak between the rim and the tyre sidewall, and give it the message with a heavy hammer, usually the bead just drops! easy! works on all tyres! the angle usually gets better with use, and make sure there are no sharp edges,

as CCB described, except I always used a 4x2 wooden frame for any rims of value others just did directly on the floor.
Round off all edges of the angle so nothing digs into the tyre or scrapes the rim, the bead breaker I made was from 40mm x 40mm box section similar to the link posted but i used a 20mm threaded rod withe a half moon at the base of the rod with a nut welded at the top of the box the threaded rod ran down to press the bead, i used plastic rim protectors on ally wheels and good tyre leavers this never made a mark ever and much better than going to the garage to change multiple tyres but when racing bikes it was a full time job and didn't like anyone doing anything on my bikes for piece of mind atb wayne

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product.do?method=view&n=753&p=352567&d=124&c=4&l=2&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Tyre%20Changers&gclid=Cj0KEQjwsai_BRC30KH347fjksoBEiQAoiaqsZVmMh-Rwp1B06OzD1jf22B70iv7eo6UW

Last edited:
Back