Thread: Question on Parallax Adjustment knob

Question on Parallax Adjustment knob

looking to get some clarity on this (no pun intended) as I have not used one before. Using the Zeiss V8 it states using the highest magnification when looking to focus the target. Does this mean that I need to know the exact distance of the target I am looking to focus and then use the adjustment knob to focus? Also, say this was 150 yards and I use the knob to focus to this distance, if I was in the field and had the opportunity to take a shot at 200 yards, would I need to adjust the parallax knob again I.e. do I need to adjust the knob each time, depending on the distance or does it just need to be the once, at a pre-defined distance. Thanks

Wat the parallax does is marry the glass up inside the scope, so that what your eye places the sight picture/recticule on to the target it is not off centre. It desired if you want improve accuracy if you focus all the glass on the intented target and the using the parallax and focusing dail on the eye piece.

If you have time I would focus the scope corretly.
    Before you step off on your stalk get your glass focused in at the range which you are most likely engage at.

keep the parallax set around 100yds when you set out (or as above at whatever your expected range is likely to be, chances are you will have more time for further shots and less for close ones so set it closer)
    most scopes do not have a fine enough parallax adjustment for it to make much difference at the 100-200 yd range

ignore the graduations, useful on a HFT air rifle for ranging but only when used in conjunction with an accurate and oversized wheel and only when calibrated to that scope.

the key for me is clarity

Is the picture clear?

next - parallax

if you move your head side to side or up and down without moving the rifle or scope does the reticule move compared to the target?
    If yes then adjust until it doesn't!

Set the mag to what you want to use, look through the scope and adjust the parallax turret until the image is shear and focused, pretty much ignore what the dial actually says. No point measuring 200m and setting the turret to 200m if the picture isn't actually clear if your eyes see it differently. Take a look at THLR videos on YouTube as he has some very good ones and covers parallax.

Thanks all, V useful

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    Set the mag to what you want to use, look through the scope and adjust the parallax turret until the image is shear and focused, pretty much ignore what the dial actually says. No point measuring 200m and setting the turret to 200m if the picture isn't actually clear if your eyes see it differently. Take a look at THLR videos on YouTube as he has some very good ones and covers parallax.

That's what I also do!

Go to your maximum magnification.
    Adjust the eyepiece until the crosshairs are clear.
    adjst the parallax until the image is clear.
    now wind the magnificent cation down to a stalking usage mag.
    If you focus everything at 200m on say 12x then set your mag to say 6x you're effectively doubling the depth of field over which the range of clarity and parallax free image is obtained.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks