Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fads&Fashion in new rifles,

Fads&Fashion in new rifles,

Why is it so trendy in most rifle manufacturers to make short barrelled ultra-light guns that rattle your teeth every time you pull the trigger,
    what's happened to the good old 8lbs twenty four inch barrelled .270/30-06.
    For those that think that I might be recoil shy I have fired plenty of rounds in 9.3x64/.416/450x400 3 1/4.
    All those have been of appropriate weight 9.5/10.5 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncas View Post
    Why is it so trendy in most rifle manufacturers to make short barrelled ultra-light guns that rattle your teeth every time you pull the trigger,
    For those that think that I might be recoil shy I have fired plenty of rounds in 9.3x64/.416/450x400 3 1/4.
    Who wants to lug around something heavy when you can carry something lighter that does the same job.
    dave

Might be due to the almost universal use of scope, this meaning the line of sight is higher and barrel
    being lower giving a straighter line of recoil, this in turn lessens the need for a heavy rifle to dampen
    the movement.
    Also, as a species we are getting weaker

I carry a T-3 Lite in 7mm-08 that weighs about 7 pounds loaded. My FN 6.5x55 weighs 9+ pounds. The difference in rifle fatigue at the end of the day @ five to seven thousand feet is noticeable. That said, I won't own a heavy recoiling rifle in a lite weight. 300 WM is about my limit in a light rifle with a well designed stock.~Muir

Fads&Fashion in new rifles,

I personally prefer wooden stocks- when I was buying my rifle at ivythorn we weighed the S&L stock on my rifle and a "lightweight" (manufacturers own terms for it) synthetic stock. There was about 2.5oz between them.

I've also used synthetic pump guns for wildfowling and dont find there's any noticeable difference between those and my beretta o/u with wooden stock.

That said I'm well over 6 foot tall and about 100kg so a few ounces here or there are no real biggy, and I also do a fair amount of weight training at the gym so I'm pretty good at lugging heavy loads long distances! YMMV and all that

I just think buy what you like, what works for you and most importantly learn how to use it effectively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by stubear; 25-09-2016 at 17:14.
    If you're shooting badly, you need a new gun. If you're shooting well then you deserve a new gun.

Don't blame the short pipe for a bad stock design.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncas View Post
    Cause by the time the hunter has stuck his latest 1-50x56 scope and moderator that could be part of the Forth Rail bridge and a bipod and night vision and ..... it's no longer lightweight

^^ unfortunately true in many cases
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Heym I think you have hit the nail on the head.
    That's why I like clean rifles long barrels no mods and small scopes.

I really don't understand why some people want to carry a rifle wich is more than 3kg ( 6,5 pounds) . In "normal" calibres this is maximum for me. ( anything below 7 mm RM) A 7 mmRM and 300 Wm can be about 200 grams heavier. Once you add a scope, mounts, ..... they get heavy. Anything above 4 kg , complete package, is to heavy.