Thread: distance selling

distance selling

Hi Guys what's the distance selling regs, having bought an expensive nightvision unit, the is not working well at all, I have struggled to get it to work for almost a month, getting help from the importers and testing takes time can I return it within the distance selling regs as supplier is saying I cannot return it to them as 14 days has lapsed. deerwarden

You have 14 days to return it without contact and 30 days if you have informed them of your intention within the initial 14 days by a durable medium (letter, email, fax) and NOT a telephone call.

Outside of that it's down to company with goodwill, however if it does not work as intended you can return it for inspection. They are entitled to repair or replace it once and if it is still not functioning correctly then you are entitled to a refund. I work at an internet retail company.

Distance Selling Regs have been replaced by the Consumer Contract Regs. https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/busines...umer-contracts
    Last edited by widu13; 26-09-2016 at 13:37.
    .243 Weatherby Vanguard Synth /.223 BRNO CZ527 Synthetic
    .22LR CZ 455 Synth / 12G Stoeger 2000 / 12G U/O Bettinsoli
    12G Zoli SBS / .410 unknown Italian

Also depending on the company, if it is a new unit, they are often very good at testing and replacing units fast. But you need to notify them immediately.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Like Widu says, notify the company at the earlier opportunity that it's not working, this'll give you a bit more breathing space. Chances are they'll just swap it straight out and not want the hassle. Ultimately it has to be fit for purpose. It's it's faulty you can return it for a refund, but don't delay.

Quote Originally Posted by deerwarden View Post
    Hi Guys what's the distance selling regs, having bought an expensive nightvision unit, the is not working well at all, I have struggled to get it to work for almost a month, getting help from the importers and testing takes time can I return it within the distance selling regs as supplier is saying I cannot return it to them as 14 days has lapsed. deerwarden
    Legally there will be a way for redress. Have you asked the supplier for assistance to contact the importers. If they won't at least help there, with an expensive piece kit from which they have profited. Enquiring minds on SD will want to know who they are, you can tell them...

I would add that if they flatly refuse to help, before you bust a nut getting advice and Trading Standards hit them hard with social media; Facebook, Twitter whatever they have post your negative experience on there. Put the FACTS on here (not your side of it, so there is no liable) and then send them a link. Best of all is a google review, the rest they can hide or delete but not the one from mighty Google. For the sake of taking this thing back a few days over the returns period you can cause them an awful lot of grief and lost business.

If the item is genuinely faulty they haven't got a leg to stand on and it's not even skin off their nose as they simply pass it back to the distributor/importer. Don't let the dust settle.
    .243 Weatherby Vanguard Synth /.223 BRNO CZ527 Synthetic
    .22LR CZ 455 Synth / 12G Stoeger 2000 / 12G U/O Bettinsoli
    12G Zoli SBS / .410 unknown Italian