Rebarreling an action

User00007

Looking to put a hunting barrel in an older tikka action ideally in a 7mm-08 as its a short action, anyone know who is good to use and how much it could cost - not after a top match barrel just something that will group very well and to use shooting deer,

any reccomendations with prices or rough guides would be helpful,

Theres redmist on here, james jager on here,alan maughan google,dont know about prices as that depends on the job,

Fast... Cheap... Good...

You can pick two from the above, but not all three

I only use HPS Target Rifles in South Gloucs as they are quicker* than some, better** than others, but not the cheapest*** at £735 fitted and proofed for a 28" Lothar Walthar varmint spec barrel in 6.5x47mm for a Sako 75 Action III.

* 11 weeks from drop off to collection last time, 8 of which was the barrel coming over from Germany
** Never heard a complaint about them, and I've had nothing to grumble about with 2 rebarrels and countless rounds of reloaded ammo
*** £500-how deep are your pockets

Looking to put a hunting barrel in an older tikka action ideally in a 7mm-08 as its a short action, anyone know who is good to use and how much it could cost - not after a top match barrel just something that will group very well and to use shooting deer,

any reccomendations with prices or rough guides would be helpful,

Keep in mind you need to get your rifle to the rifle smith and back again. If you put a location on your profile, you might get some local recommendations?

Lots of folk out there re-barrelling rifles - http://www.dolphinguncompany.co.uk/ is another one to consider.

Regards JCS

Paddy Dane, Dane and co, very professional nothing to much trouble and his machining work is the best iv seen, and iv seen and had a few barrels before...

Paddy Dane, Dane and co, very professional nothing to much trouble and his machining work is the best iv seen, and iv seen and had a few barrels before...

+1 for Paddy, also there is a lot to be had by being able to take your rifle to them, chat in person and see their shop etc. For me that goes a long way when deciding if they're the right person for the job.

Fast... Cheap... Good...

You can pick two from the above, but not all three

I only use HPS Target Rifles in South Gloucs as they are quicker* than some, better** than others, but not the cheapest*** at £735 fitted and proofed for a 28" Lothar Walthar varmint spec barrel in 6.5x47mm for a Sako 75 Action III.

* 11 weeks from drop off to collection last time, 8 of which was the barrel coming over from Germany
** Never heard a complaint about them, and I've had nothing to grumble about with 2 rebarrels and countless rounds of reloaded ammo
*** £500-how deep are your pockets

+1

Mirrors my experiences with HPS. Decent job done, no complaints. Around £720 proofed, black painted, screw-cut LW50 SS 26 inch match barrel which is capable of competition shooting (best group was .18, consistently shoots .25). Not the cheapest but you know what you're getting, and performance-wise, it's as good as anything else for the money out there. Service is first class.

Find one local to you who has a good rep so you can go and see them and discuss what you need face to face.

Keith

I had my howa re barrelled by brock and norris there work Is outstanding and it guaranteed to for .5 MOA I had mine back in 6 weeks from drop of to collection , mine is shooting in the .2 atm and I'm not even finished with the load development my mates had all his builds and they are all outstanding rifle with insane accuracy and at a good price well worth contacting him

My Norman clark 308 is still a tack driver after 14 years but my redmist ones are just a bit better. In reality all of the names mentioned will do an admirable job

Kershaw rebarreled my t3 in 6.5x47 with an L/W barrel, turned it round in 2 weeks Inc taking it to proof for me.

View attachment 74890
5 shot group at 100 so I've absolutely now problem with it matey
Ps... don't know why picture is wrong way sorry

Nice group Jimmy, iv got a lothar on a sako 75 action that Steve did a few years back also shoots very nice, iv just heard people say they are all or nothing, just having another done but gonna try s sassen this time and Paddy Dane has done it for me. I'm pretty sure it will shoot better than I can...

Back