Which budget 8 X 42 Binocular

I have just bought some Minox BF 8x42 Binoculars for £130. The picture clarity in good and poor light is perfect. I struggle to tell the difference to my old Leicas. Perhaps all I would say is that they are obviously two circles of images, where as the Leicas merge into one circle. This doesn't bother me much. The image quality is spot on.

I have a pair of Vanguard endeavor ED2 and for the money they are brilliant all the way to last light. £300

Not as good 1000+binos but 90% for a third of the cost

In that price range I'd go Vortex talon's, I'm delighted with mine. And everyone who looks through them comments on how good they are.

I would say anything you buy could be cheaper but undoubtedly the customer service at Swarovski is second to none! I've had my SLC over 20+years and I have sent them back twice at zero cost to me returned from Austria in a week and I did not think they were my binos!

£300-£500 is an awkward price range for binos, not quite enough for 2nd hand Swarovskis but, in my opinion, too much to spend on lesser makes. There is no doubt that some of the mid range binos are very very good these days but the problem is you don't get the back up of the top brands and the resale value is very low.

I am lucky in that I have accumulated a couple of spare pairs of good binos over the years so I am not too precious about leaving those in the truck, if they get stolen NFU can take the hit, but I also have an old pair of Opticron 8x40 rubber armoured poro prisms that live in my work van and get lent to people, they are surprisingly good and very light. A couple of times I have used them for stalking if i've forgotten my better ones or its been an improptu outing and ive been very happy with them. Most birding shops like Cley-spy always have a few ex-trade ins like this in stock for about £50.

To be honest, most mid priced bins these days are quite good and really more than up to the task of stalking duties at low light. It's a personal thing regarding fit and handling but you can't really go wrong with Opticron, Minox, Vanguard or Steiner. The Steiners won out for me on features and optical quality. Skyhawk 3 or Ranger models are the ones to look out for. We have some Opticron Discoveries too and they're surprising good at half the price, as were some older Vanguards we had for years. If I was going top drawer optics, and wanted to throw more money at them, I'd be looking towards Leica optics.

I would say anything you buy could be cheaper but undoubtedly the customer service at Swarovski is second to none! I've had my SLC over 20+years and I have sent them back twice at zero cost to me returned from Austria in a week and I did not think they were my binos!

Vortex service similar and with a lifetime guarantee. IMHO the bino debate is similar to cars - BMW or Skoda - both will get you their with equal comfort and safety. Both will last fotr just as many mile. One will cost a lot more that the other. Some folk like to say the drive a Beemer and would be see dead in a Skoda.....

Vortex service similar and with a lifetime guarantee. IMHO the bino debate is similar to cars - BMW or Skoda - both will get you their with equal comfort and safety. Both will last fotr just as many mile. One will cost a lot more that the other. Some folk like to say the drive a Beemer and would be see dead in a Skoda.....

Its good to hear other companies providing great service.:thumb:

What about the zeiss Terra's in that price range, haven't heard much about them but I'd be surprised if they were bad for the money with the zeiss badge

What about the zeiss Terra's in that price range, haven't heard much about them but I'd be surprised if they were bad for the money with the zeiss badge

I tried a few pairs and they weren't good at all. The Steiners wiped the floor with them in almost every respect, including build, and were certainly optically much much better. They have bins at that range simply to cover that end of the market, but to my mind, it's a bit like the Duralyt rifle scope, product placement at the mid priced end to capture a share of the market but it isn't doing the brand any good imho. Something and nothing... It's essentially dumbing down what they do really well, ie premium high class optics. Just an opinion so don't shoot me down for it :tiphat:

Only heard about them never looked through them or talked to anyone that had so good to hear as I'm in a similar position to the op so maybe I'll pick up a pair of Steiners

I was up at Chesters last night comparing scope optics from dusk to dark. I took my Leicas and compared to the Steiners at last night nigh on no differnece between them so if your on a budget or just sensible then they are the ones to buy. In fact I think now its all up to your eyes as glass is now very good and older eyes arn't as good as they were!!!

D

Hi all, I've been reading this thread and Chester's great survey with much interest. So much so I was seriously thinking of ordering a set of Steiner Skyhawke when I remembered that I had an ancient set of Steiner Commanders 7x50 hidden away.

Does any one have any experience of these binos in comparison with the Skyhawke?

If after stieners go for the Ranger series, the lenses on them are designed to pick out the darker colour spectrum, ( the colours of game animals ) .

If after stieners go for the Ranger series, the lenses on them are designed to pick out the darker colour spectrum, ( the colours of game animals ) .
Thanks Taff. I was trying to get an idea how much of an improvement a set of Skyhawke or Rangers would be over my Commanders.
If its marginal I'll send my Commanders off for service, if its significant I'll raid the piggy bank and buy a newer set.

To the OP - if you haven't already or if they are still there, there is a pair of Zeiss 7x42 BGATs in the classifieds for the sort of money you are looked by at. These were probably best bins ever made - beautifully made, beautifully balances and optically on a par with the latest Swarovski, Leica etc. To my mind they are though so much more comfortable to use. Don't bother looking any further.

I have had a pair since 1999 - used and abused and will do another 20+ years. And I bought my father a pair new in the box a few years ago and my daughter will inherit these.

Back