Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going to the States

Going to the States

If you want to go deer stalking in the states can you take your own rifle?

Yes, you can. You'll need to apply for a temporary import permit from ATF (this can take up to 3 months), you'll need a valid hunting permit for the area you want to hunt, and you'll need to comply with the terms of carriage of whichever airline you plan on using
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

I am going in 4 weeks, taking my rifle, and have met the conditions as stated by Woodsmoke, although my temporary importation permit only took 5 days.
    Cheers
    Richard

Cheers for the info I was planning on trying to get out to North Carolina next year but it seems so expensive to go out on a stalk so was planning on going out stalking with some friends that live in NC, they said they have a lot of public hunting ground near by apparently all I need to do is getting a hunting permit like gunsmoke said but does a dsc1 count out there or do I have to do their hunting course?

Depends on your date of birth as you might need to have done and can prove it a hunter safety course usually if born after around 1967ish.
    I do SC a lot and the public hunting grounds are large but lots of Amis use them mainly at the weekends they are too full of tramping thru the gloaming guys,Tues to Thursday is quieter.
    BATF download the form no 6 fill in & send it off by fax with a copy of a hunting license bought on line from any US state as proof of intent (go for the cheapest non resident license Delaware I think is low) they usually send the same form stamped with a BATF permission back to the same fax number you sent it from in 3 days. Then off you go. I take a tent and use the public land camping areas and I have a good time open fire pits are usually available for cooking (rent a 4wd though) the roads can be very rough.
    Martin

True Martin, different states, different rules, no hunter education required in Montana if born prior to 1985 where i am going.
    You did have to fax the form in the past, but they will also accept a scanned form via email, that is how i did mine, probably why it only took 5 days.
    Cheers
    Richard

I was ageexempt in Colorado but I did send my DSC1 and 2 which
    they would accept as hunter education. but check with North Carolina.

The legislation is variable and complex for licenses and tags but it can be worked out
    Its important you know and understand the seasons, and regs.

The wildlife departments are easy to access on line and are usually very helpful,
    BATF are also helpful if you are a legitimate hunter.

I myself dont like rifle season in the States, there are a LOT of hunters.
    Bow hunting season is quieter and longer.

Others have provided good information. Several additions

1st - moderators are highly regulated here and it a federal crime to import one. Please make sure you leave yours at home.

2nd - remember that each state sets it's own laws for game.

3rd - there are some more reasonable private land stalks that can improve your chances, and decrease your competition for game. On the flip side, you will need a plan for disposition of game as it is illegal to sell it in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootmeurer View Post
    Others have provided good information. Several additions

1st - moderators are highly regulated here and it a federal crime to import one. Please make sure you leave yours at home.
    Very true, even though certain states allow them, we cannot bring one in to the US.

2nd - remember that each state sets it's own laws for game.
    Yep, and they can be very complicated!

3rd - there are some more reasonable private land stalks that can improve your chances, and decrease your competition for game. On the flip side, you will need a plan for disposition of game as it is illegal to sell it in the USA.
    So much land, Public, BLM, BMA, State school, private....I have found out where the closest food banks are to donate the meat, but we will eat some!
    Cheers

Richard