Wanted: Shooting in Norfolk

Scotty99

Hi Folks,

I am contemplating moving to Norfolk (possibly within a 10 mile radius of Great Bircham) and I was wondering what the shooting opportunities were like in Norfolk. On the face of it Norfolk sounds like a great county to shoot, Wildfowling on the Wash, deer stalking in Thetford forest (BASC scheme). But what about small DIY pheasant / partridge syndicates are there many, do they have waiting lists, are they expensive? I am a member of a small DIY pheasant syndicate where I currently live and would like to think I could get into one when I move,

Any advice welcomed.

Are you looking to retire or work in the area? I live in North Norfolk and many aspects are great but, I would give serious consideration to all the boring stuff of life such as jobs, roads, schools, policing, post offices, internet/phone access etc. Sadly its not a great area in this respect. One plus point is that the Norfolk and Suffolk Firearms Licensing dept are brilliant.

We lease about 3000 acres of woodland in thetford, planing 4 small let days this season. If you wish come along see what you think.

Hi Glyn,

Thanks for the response.

I am in the fortunate position of having retired about 12 months ago so work, schools etc...are not an issue. What is the issue with policing, presumably not enough presence.......Internet can be an issue obviously depending on exact location, but if I can get 5 mbs I'll be happy.

Ian,

Hi Glyn,

Thanks for the response.

I am in the fortunate position of having retired about 12 months ago so work, schools etc...are not an issue. What is the issue with policing, presumably not enough presence.......Internet can be an issue obviously depending on exact location, but if I can get 5 mbs I'll be happy.

Ian,

Well, this is my third attempt to answer your comment! BT claim 3mb is possible but, on the rare occasions that the internet is stable for long enough to do a speed test it hovers around 0.9 to 1.2. Been getting around 0.25 when its been working at all for the last three or four weeks following a thunderstorm.

Mmmmmmm that's not very fast, the issue I have is one of my sons lives in the US and we Skype a lot so will definitely need about 5 mbs minimum......may need to think again.

Mmmmmmm that's not very fast, the issue I have is one of my sons lives in the US and we Skype a lot so will definitely need about 5 mbs minimum......may need to think again.

It is very variable, you could be lucky, my advice would be to visit the area you are thinking of moving to and simply knock on doors or ask in the local pub or shop. Do not rely on what BT etc tell you for sure. Mobile internet is really fast in Norwich but hopeless everywhere else, lucky if you can get a phone signal let alone internet.

Don't take 1 example as gospel though. Broadband internet varies wildly even down the same street as the impact of the often extremely old phone cables that carry the service are often in different states of repair. even the route taken from the exchange can cause big issues. Even urban areas suffer with these limitations.
north Norfolk is quite a large geographic area to make assumptions about speed. I'd make enquiries with residents in the exact locality that you propose to live in.
im sitting right on the edge of a suffolk market town with 70meg broadband and great Mobile 4g! So these things do vary.

Last edited:
Hi Glyn,

Thanks for the response.

Ian,

I live in North Norfolk and I've just checked my broadband speed - download 48mbps and upload 18mbps. That's with fibre but does depend very much on how far you are from nearest exchange and if you can get fibre. Policing in Norfolk is appropriate to the level of crime, which is low, and population. Having recently travelled and parked on the M25 for a nightmare trip to Guildford I'm now more than happy with the roads in Norfolk! The schools my kids go to are very good and I never have trouble finding a post office.

In summary I don't think Norfolk differs much from any other rural county in terms of services etc.

Back