Day and night rifle scope

Colonel

I'm now hooked on boar shooting after a couple of nights with Barry in the Forest of Dean. I am thinking of getting a ATN 2 smart HD day/ night vision riflescope, I can't make up my mind about which one to get, the 2.3-14 or the 2.5-20. Has anybody got one of these scopes and what do you think of them.

The larger is the 5-20. I think both are pretty good. I would say that most boar are at shorter ranges and therefore you will benefit from the wider FoV the smaller lens will give you.

General choice will depend on budget, if it's going to be used for stalking too, shooting distance, and just how often you'll use the night vision.

I looked at the ATN scopes at the Midland Game Fair, and the guy from ATN said they were far better during the day, than they were at night ! I'm not certain just what that means in reality, but I think there may be better options.

The other thing I noticed, is the mount is woefully short compared to other NV mounts, which even then, can give issues with the eye relief being too short. They had a picatinny rail hanging off the back of the mock stock, and even then, only had a fraction of the mount clamped to it, to get some sort of eye relief. Totally unusable on a real rifle.

If I were on a budget, I'd look at the Yukon Photon 4.6x42 for shooting out to circa 80yds, fine for boar at a feed station, and get QR mounts for it, and your standard scope.

Or, look for a used Drone Pro, excellent for both day, and night. The 5 /10 x with doubler would be a great choice.

Colonel I have the x-sight 2 it's a brilliant bit of kit with the right illuminator, I use the dragonfly illuminator watching foxes at 160 yards this was a photo of last night I did not set the date and time,still playing with the settings the dragonfly was £250 and was well worth it image.jpeg

Depending on your budget I would be looking at used longbow or alternatively buy an add on. Even the cheapest archer will be miles ahead of the ATN. There is a used longbow for sale on here.

I have an X sight 2 (5-20) for fox control at distance and it's brilliant. All the issues the mk 1 had are sorted. I have a ledray F900, night master 800 and X searcher IR illuminators and with any of them I can see further than I would shoot at night. For boar at close to medium ranges the 3-14 would suit you well. A dronepro is no good as they are fixed 10 times magnification and the new one 15 times magnification so the field of view will be too narrow and they are more than twice the price of an X sight. Thermal is great if you have money to burn. I have experience of both dronepro and X-sight 2 and bang for buck the X-sight 2 is less than half the price and, if you like that sort of thing, has a built in video recorder and stills facility to capture your shots. To do that with a dronepro you have to buy a DVR to plug into it. Both the drone and the X-sight are supplied with IR illuminators which are OK but invest in a decent IR illuminator and you see a marked improvement in night image quality.

I have an X sight 2 (5-20) for fox control at distance and it's brilliant. All the issues the mk 1 had are sorted. I have a ledray F900, night master 800 and X searcher IR illuminators and with any of them I can see further than I would shoot at night. For boar at close to medium ranges the 3-14 would suit you well. A dronepro is no good as they are fixed 10 times magnification and the new one 15 times magnification so the field of view will be too narrow and they are more than twice the price of an X sight. Thermal is great if you have money to burn. I have experience of both dronepro and X-sight 2 and bang for buck the X-sight 2 is less than half the price and, if you like that sort of thing, has a built in video recorder and stills facility to capture your shots. To do that with a dronepro you have to buy a DVR to plug into it. Both the drone and the X-sight are supplied with IR illuminators which are OK but invest in a decent IR illuminator and you see a marked improvement in night image quality.

Let be honest, the Drone is a LOT better than the X-Sight2 at night.

The drone pro knocks spots off if an x- sight
Who cares about recording , Gps , electric compass etc , Jesus just look through & shoot !
Why they put all that crap on it is anybody's guess
Even tho it's half the price I still would go drone pro

Paul

Back