Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with dog getting into car

Problem with dog getting into car

I have a 6 month old cocker who is generally obedient but the moment I get him to go in the car boot where his cage is he simply lies on the ground like a limp noodle and won't get up and eventually rolls under the damn car. He never used to do this its a fairly recent thing I understand he wants playing with but at the moment its bad people look at me like I beat my dog which I don't. He does it for all family members too. I have tried walking him to the car on a lead but same thing just lies down like a wet fish. Ideas?

Let him get good and hungry and feed him in there. If you feed him once a day, do it after a walk in the cage in the back of the car. If you usually feed him more often, miss a meal and do it with a double portion at the next one.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Sorry mate, but first of all I have to laugh my fill at the mental image you've given me

I'd start by keeping the pressure off and not trying to get him in only when you're going somewhere. If you're getting to the point where you're frustrated he'll really quickly pick up on that and you'll get the submissive behaviour he's showing. Making the car boot the best place in the world for him to be is the answer. Start by leaving the tailgate open when you're at home and encouraging him to jump in at his own pace. Feed him in there, make a bit of a fuss of him and make sure he knows it's a good place for him to be. He'll soon get the idea, especially if you place a bit of vet bed that has his scent all over it in there with him
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Perhaps put him in mor often with a treat like a bone from the Butchers with plenty of meat on it ( or your own Deer bones ) so he associates the boot with good times instead of the end of play time ?

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Cockers needs some encouragement, so get in the cage and entice him in Note to self; don't do this at the shoot or when any other family members or friends have access to a camera

Seriously, is it the car or the cage that is the problem?

Try taking the cage out of the car and see if he reacts the same.

If it's the cage, remove it from the car and - as others have suggested - feed him in there, make a general fuss of him, and familiarise him with the cage until such point that you can move it back into the car. Our cocker slept in the cage when it was in the house, so when it came to moving the cage to the car it was merely moving his "home turf".

If it's the car, change the car

Do you have another dog? If so, try him following another dog into the cage.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    he simply lies on the ground like a limp noodle and won't get up and eventually rolls under the damn car. ...people look at me like I beat my dog which I don't. .... just lies down like a wet fish. Ideas?
    Yep, that's a cocker right enough. It's part of their life's work to make you look like a d**k.

I'm just back from dropping a carcass off at the dealers and as soon as I got home my two cockers were all over the back door of the truck. If they had opposable thumbs they'd have been inside in a flash. As said, make it interesting and safe for him. Food, bedding, deer bits? Pretty much anything that grabs his interest.

With the cage in the boot, do you have the back seat down so he can see out and there is some light? Before I got a truck my dog travelled in a cage in the car boot, but I always collapsed half the back seat and shoved the cage through, so she could see me and wasn't completely confined in a dark space.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Country View Post
    Yep, that's a cocker right enough. It's part of their life's work to make you look like a d**k.
    TBH, I found I could manage that perfectly well before I had cockers - the difference is that they do with some panache

For example, I was out duck flighting last night and, when the flight was over, my older cocker trotted straight past the keeper and the mallard that was lying doggo at his feet, before sniffing the air and coming back to my heel.

"Your dog's just walked straight past this duck....twice" the keeper shouted, loud enough so that all those assembled could hear (but then, after all, that's what keepers are trained to do )

Once he'd turned his back she then dived into the rushes where he'd just been with his labrador and retrieved another mallard that he'd missed. She then proceeded to quarter and find another teal on the grass that had also been missed. Of course she did all of this with no audience whatsoever.

You've got to love them.
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 28-09-2016 at 11:40.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Ha,
    that's cockers for you. Hey look at my highly trained cocker, then it shows you up. been there done it Best advice, make sure your dog is hungry, feed him in the cage, throw his favourite retrieve toy in the cage for him to go and get, don't only use the cage when you drive somewhere, let him spend some time in there. It may be that he just does not like being separate from you. He needs to come to understand that the cage is a means to an end and that there can be some fun or reward attached to it.

Ian

Start them younger..........then put something of interest in the back.......

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

The more times you go, there is always a chance of going home with one

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    You've got to love them.
    Yep. My hard-as-nails Black Labrador retrieving machine Purdey once jumped out of the back of my truck carrying a bright pink stuffed flamingo that she then proceeded to deliver to every single member of the syndicate . . . . . .
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care