Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: Working out bullet drop distances

  1. #1

    Working out bullet drop distances

    Tell me, can you work out bullet drop for 300,400,500 metres backwards if I already know exactly how far my bullet drops at 600 metres?

    For example I have a 200 metre zero and I'm dialing 100 clicks to be bang on at 600 metres, is it possible to work backwards with this information and work out the 300,400, and 500 click values?

    All advice welcome
    Cheers

  2. #2
    The ballistic apps will do it for you, Strelok has the option to correct with real data.

  3. #3
    I have seen this option. When I input my actual field data it increases the fps of the bullet by over 200fps. I am not sure if the app is at fault or my chronograph has given false reading. I have a nice new magneto speed so would prob think that it is showing a correct reading.

  4. #4
    a bit of fudging with a ballistic program will get you there , get all your known data and input it very carefully then fudge the velocity to get your 600m drop to match your actual drop then the other ranges should be close
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by s8mdevo View Post
    I have seen this option. When I input my actual field data it increases the fps of the bullet by over 200fps. I am not sure if the app is at fault or my chronograph has given false reading. I have a nice new magneto speed so would prob think that it is showing a correct reading.

    the chrono maybe a bit off or you can change the BC to match your data and keep the Chrono reading Strelok can do either with its corrections

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    a bit of fudging with a ballistic program will get you there , get all your known data and input it very carefully then fudge the velocity to get your 600m drop to match your actual drop then the other ranges should be close
    This is the plan, I have all the data and drops for 600 metres, but couldn't understand why Strelok was not playing ball. I am heading to Bisley next week and wanted to shoot some distances between 200 and 600 to check drops so wondered if I altered my bullet velocity to match up with real field data would the Strelok app be correct at these distances in between.

  7. #7
    In your experience are the BC's given on the tin an approximate and it is common to have to alter them?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by s8mdevo View Post
    This is the plan, I have all the data and drops for 600 metres, but couldn't understand why Strelok was not playing ball. I am heading to Bisley next week and wanted to shoot some distances between 200 and 600 to check drops so wondered if I altered my bullet velocity to match up with real field data would the Strelok app be correct at these distances in between.
    I found when I did something similar that it took several attempts to get all the data correctly entered into the App. Scope height was one issue, my real world velocities weren't exactly the same as the magnetospeed either. By truing up at the end of each range session and carefully rechecking the inputs I eventually got a profile in the app that closely matches the real performance of the rifle. It probably took me about 18 months from starting with the App to get to a point that I am comfortable with what it is telling me, but I don't get on a range very often.

    Have fun.

    JCS

  9. #9
    I use ballistic and find it very good , especially bryan litz's g7 data

    bc's can need fudging but I wouldn't go there first

    it depends on what your after , first round hits on bunnys at 600m or hitting the screen on the range so you can make fine adjustments with subsequent shots
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

  10. #10
    When I am doing this I use wall paper 4ft high yes a high back stop is used I then zero at x norm 100. then I draw a line in the centre of the sheet mark off in inch lines so 100 would be nr the top so I can also move to 50yrds etc . I have my Zeiss chart as this is what the scope is and set up by shooting three rounds then move to my 100,125,150, and so on you get it , I do this to my max range then see if the chart matches my target if not I ajust by the amount of diff' at 300 shot, then mark off the shoots and re shoot the list again, but they are not far out and if it were deer they would fall over ? Failing that book a point at the Bisly with a few mats and get it sorted that way . my club is lucky we have use of Stanta so for my long range stuff I just use a pal to mark off 1-1200 . vie the 100yrd points.
    Last edited by paul o'; 28-09-2016 at 13:50.

Similar Threads

  1. Bullet drop for a 6.5 x 55
    By stuey in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 29-03-2016, 20:45
  2. 6.5 x55 bullet drop
    By chill123 in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-09-2014, 19:40
  3. 308 Bullet Drop
    By cumbrian in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 23-11-2013, 00:03
  4. 308 bullet drop ?
    By 223 in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-04-2011, 16:48
  5. Bullet drop
    By jimbo123p in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-05-2010, 09:48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •