Tied up.

goathunter1

Calm yourselves lads - it's not the fetish section.
I'd be grateful for information on what you are using to tie your beasts onto the back/front of the quad. Rope really is a pain - or maybe that's just because I never aspired to my Scout knots badge. Try as I may I have never grasped the "lorry drivers" hitch - or whatever it may be called. The one where you can tighten the rope on itself.
Anyway, are most of you using rope or some sort of ratchet? What works best and last longest?
Yes, I am aware it's a very naive question. I'm old and silly. Can't help it.
Thankyou in advance.

I prefer to drag the beasts if it's off road the extra weight can make the quad unstable.

Depends on the terrain, as Rab says tow them if cutting across sloping ground. If fairly flat one on front one on back, I used small ratchet webbing to secure them and towed the rest (I am talking hind cull here) with rope.

Talking of ratchet straps.......................

I've started using the Sealey auto-retract, one-piece straps after getting fed up faffing about with the usual two-piece ones and tying myself in knots everytime I go to use them :evil: (literally!).

The 25mm x 3m ones for general use (about £19.50 a pair on eBlag) and the 50mm x 3m ones for securing the quad on the trailer.

http://sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?gotonode=ViewProduct&method=mViewProduct&productid=16388&productdescription=&productcode=&category=1&catgroup=336&catmicrogroup=&analysiscode=&requiredresults=10

View attachment 74809

Orion, those Sealey ones look clever. How does the "auto retract" tolerate the muck that will inevitably get on them? Are they finicky?

Orion, those Sealey ones look clever. How does the "auto retract" tolerate the muck that will inevitably get on them? Are they finicky?

They're pretty robust and although I don't make a point of dragging them through the mud they're holding up very well.

Purely from a convience point of view (plus removing the frustration of having to untangle the traditional type of strap!) they're worth it to me.

I use knots and ropes on a daily basis,A Waggoner's hitch can be applied in multiples in train to give a block & tackle effect, A Bowline is invaluable, & the quickhitch Ray Mears uses to secure a tarp is great for shelter halves when foxing in bad weather.:cool:

Of course I can if I think I can! Thanks for the link. Question. Does the "Waggoners hitch" require laid rope? Or will modern nylon do?

There is a smartphone app called grog knots or something like that which has animations of loads of knots, I downloaded it to remind me how to tie a monkey's fist but it has loads of others.

Save that the hauliers hitch is a good knot but it basically just gives you a loop to get more purchase, if you make your ropes with an eye spliced in or even just tie a bowline in the end and are creative with how you put them across the racks you can get the same purchase and make it fast with a couple of half hitches.

We use the same sled as Forestry Commission, which is made by Nicol J Slee in Garelochead. 2 big stags or 4-5 hinds with no effort. it is only 6 inches high so no need to lift, the beast just slides in. Fits into the back of a pick-up or an estate car. Highly recommended

Aye, Robbie, I know a chap who has one. Handy indeed. I've just had to spend a bit of money on the quad, so rope, rather than sled, will have to suffice in the short term.
Thanks for reminding me of that though. It's now on the wish list.

Nite ize do something called a cam jam, I came across them recently whilst researching something else. Worth a look?

The Sealy ones are a good cheap alternative to a well known brand used to hoist deer. The system is best if used with the ratchets at ground level and not as advertised with the ratchet in the air.

I've resorted to a very thick canvas with eye hooks wrapping it right around the beast and tying / sealing it in with two drag points one either side of the antlers / head attached to the tow bar with a short length of rope so the head is lifted up, stops it rolling and no snagging and no lifting the bugger up

keeps the Carcases in great condition as well

i blagged the canvas of a mate, done the eyelets myself, with rope cost a tenner to make at the most

Back