Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tranporting a carcass and subsequent buthery.

Tranporting a carcass and subsequent buthery.

Apologies if this is in the wrong section. I'm new to deerstalking and have yet to undertake the two I have booked. Another post has got me thinking about an issue. Here goes then. I attend a shoot, and manage to shoot a deer. The person I'm with grallochs the deer appropriately at the scene. I pay, or have arranged, payment for, the carcass. It's in Scotland, I'm in Derby. I've seen American films where hunters tie their deer onto their car to transport it. So, the question is, is it legal to do the same in UK, to bring it back nearer to home to where a friend can butcher it for me for my own consumption? I doubt that I'll want to do this, but the image of a deer of suitable size strapped to the roof rack off down the motorway keeps coming to mind.

Don't no how legal it is but I wouldn't want to think of all the road / traffic contamination it would accumulate it may be seen as offensive to Joe public , not a good idea !

Quote Originally Posted by Shootist View Post
    Apologies if this is in the wrong section. I'm new to deerstalking and have yet to undertake the two I have booked. Another post has got me thinking about an issue. Here goes then. I attend a shoot, and manage to shoot a deer. The person I'm with grallochs the deer appropriately at the scene. I pay, or have arranged, payment for, the carcass. It's in Scotland, I'm in Derby. I've seen American films where hunters tie their deer onto their car to transport it. So, the question is, is it legal to do the same in UK, to bring it back nearer to home to where a friend can butcher it for me for my own consumption? I doubt that I'll want to do this, but the image of a deer of suitable size strapped to the roof rack off down the motorway keeps coming to mind.
    In the first instance why don't you talk to the folk you have booked the stalk with? Secondly you could read some of Pine Marten's posts on his travels by public transport?

Regards JCS

Get a carcass tray and make sure your air con is working really well!

Reguardless of legality it would be offensive

We get enough flack as it is

On a practicle level is its a fallow or red? lifting it on to the roof will be errrrrr interesting and a bit messy

Buy large industrial plastic sacks.

Buy a large role of blue papper from a builders murchent

Buy gaffer tape

Put a big wadge of paper inside both the sacks

Put a sack on either end of the deer

Put said deer in it inside the sacks then put in the car

If you have a big car? buy a builders plasterors bath or dear sled

Quote Originally Posted by Shootist View Post

What car have you got?
    Boot?
    Trailer?
    Break carcase down onsite then transport?

Shootist, is there a problem with transporting inside the vehicle?

If there is not enough room for a rigid tray then, once the carcase has cooled off, one of these can be utilised and can even be laid across the rear seats. Some empty 2ltr soft drinks bottles filled with water and chilled/frozen placed inside the bag and/or carcase will help.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/waterproof-game-bag-100l-id_8282738.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big_c0a60d777a8c42ed9e8ee7485fe2d5ce.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	74810

Depends on size of deer
    Size of your car
    Available space
    Personally for a longer journey I'd prefer to have it covered & chilled
    Could you ask the folk your booked with to break the carcass into
    2x haunches
    2x forelegs
    & the saddle then put into cool box with freezer packs or empty Coke bottles with water in em frozen down .
    As said if you have the space a plastic plasterers bath then place the cold water bottles in the carcass .
    If going to be a good few hours I really wouldn't want the carcass wrapped in bin liners I'm not sure but might "sweat" a bit ....
    Unless you've shot it night or day before & it's already cooled down to at least ambient temperature.

Give us a bit more info & sure folks will give more specific help

Paul

I'd also have a watch of Scott Rea's videos on deer butchery as he shows how easy it is to break the carcass down into primals - effectively three sections split into fore, mid and aft. The same butchery process applies to all deer species regardless of size, and having done a couple myself now once you actually get into it its not as hard as one might initially think!

If nothing else I'd do this before you hit the road and then wrap everything up as much as possible as others have suggested. I'd also invest in a good number of those freezable ice packs (or indeed just some bags of ice) to pack in with it to keep things cool on the run home. The idea is to get the carcass down to 7 degrees asap and then keep it below 7 degrees to stop harmful bacteria taking hold.

If you can break the carcass down further into haunches, backstraps, fillets, ribs and stew meat then all the easier.

It might also be worth asking your guide what facilities they have on site - If they process a number of deer a year you might find that they have decent butchery facilities on site and a vacuum packer, and if so break the carcass down as much as possible, seal it all up in bags packed into cold boxes and then finish up processing when you get home.
    If you're shooting badly, you need a new gun. If you're shooting well then you deserve a new gun.

do like i do leave all your windows open and get two or three pkts of extra strong mints,nah to be honest its like 75 says i take two ltr milk bottles frozen solid put a cple inside the rest around ,,viola!!
    Last edited by AN DU RU FOX; 29-09-2016 at 17:10.
    DONT START