Shotgun damage

In theory, yes, all English guns were bespoken and the stocks were made for the particuar gun it was fitted to. But...in reality many "name" guns were made for the seller by Webley or by others such as Leonard. Most, if not all, William Evans guns and most, of not all, Army and Navy guns were Webley made. Indeed I've seen the registers of Webley and a few smiles on "7th Grade Gun to be Engraved and Finished as 1st Grade"!

So it may be, but I'm doubtful, that your gun might have a lucky donor stock on a scrap lot in one of the UK auctions sold as "stock and action" only. The only thing is to search out those auctions for a gun made by the same actual maker as yours at about the same time. It might be, with luck, that you may be near enough that if you remove wood from the "new" stock it will fit.

The copper sheet repair is another way around and was a quite common repair in colonial times in Africa. Copper being abundant of course in what is now Zambia and then was Northern Rhodesia...and still abundant there. My mother's house was full of copper ashtrays, and such stuff marked up as Northern Rhodesia or Zambia. If done well it is a sound, solid, time tested repair method.

Best value in English sidelocks has, IMHO, always been Joseph Lang as they sold very good quality guns and were very much second only to the London triumvate of Holland, Purdey and Boss. I'd rate them better than any Evans of the same epoch...very much better. Yet they make not a hig amount of money. I bought my son a Lang sidelock out of Holt's for between £1000 to £1500 and when re-blacked, stock refinished it looks excellent. Trick is to find a gun that whilst "grubby" or "tatty" isn't "tired" and so is still on the face and hasn't yet been re-finished. That way you'll still have meat in the barrels and meat on the stock.

Last edited:
Back