Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lapua brass !

lapua brass !

evening all ,

i have just bitten the bullet and ordered 100 lapau 6.5x55 cases , and was just wondering do i need to fully resize them before loading them ?

ive only only ever used cheep sellar & belliot brass or my old federal factory cases !

i know there the best brass money can buy , so i was just wondering how to handle it !

cheers lee

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

I resize (and trim if needed) all my new lapua for peace of mind, but you may well find they are consistent enough not to need to, depending on the tolerances you work to.

Unless the cases, (any manufacturer's) are stated to be custom prepped, & not requiring any further work, I would always full length size, trim to length, as a minimum, some may wish to go further with flash hole uniforming, neck turning, case volume by water etc , etc, etc, once fired in your own rifle I would then drop back to neck sizing for at least three further reloads.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

exelent , cheers lads !

cheers lee

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Hi Lee,

I use Lapua brass for my 6.5x55 too. I always resize the new brass and continue to fully resize for each reloading.

ATB

T

Hmmm now if you look in the new Norma catalogue they claim to make the Lapua brass amongst many others even have photos of the headstamp in there alongside Federal.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Hi Lee,

I use Lapua brass for my 6.5x55 too. I always resize the new brass and continue to fully resize for each reloading.

ATB

T
    you never neck size then mate ? surely your brass would last longer if you did.
    mind saying that ive heard of a couple of people that allways full lenght size. they say the accuracy is better. even if case life isnt

I always full length resize too. The main reason for me is that I found that in my rifle cases that were neck sized only were significantly stiffer to feed (and unload) because they were tighter and in the field I just wanted a load that would drop in reliably with minimal effort.

I neck sized, trimmed to length and then chamfered all my new Lapua cases. I have had no problems with chambering any rounds that I have reloaded.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    I always full length resize too. The main reason for me is that I found that in my rifle cases that were neck sized only were significantly stiffer to feed (and unload) because they were tighter and in the field I just wanted a load that would drop in reliably with minimal effort.
    You could try bumping the shoulder back... http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/eproduc...eItemID=620746

Incidentally I just neck sized my Lapua brass in .308 and it shot less than half an inch on first load, I will do the same for my .223 when it arrives.

P.S. I did check that the brass chambered OK before I went with neck sizing only...
    Last edited by Milligan; 01-07-2010 at 18:32.