Drone Pro Torch Mount

bryn

I was at my local gun shop the other day and had a chat with a Game Keeper who shot foxes on an almost industrial scale.
He used a XQ38 to spot and starlight a Long Bow, what interested me was the torch mount he used. Which was basically an Optilock 1 inch ring on a weaver base, the thing that caught my eye was the fact that the torch could be moved both on a vertical and horizontal plain very easily with no screws or nuts to turn.
I asked if it eliminated the the white out type situation whereby the light bounces of a mound or hill in front of the beam and leaves whatever is behind in a sort of dead ground and un seeable. He said not in 100% of situations but not far off. So here is what I came up with.

I chose a Burris Signature High 1 inch ring which has a weaver base and importantly has the inner convex plastic ring which allows it to move within the outer metal concave. Its the same as the optilocks system but very much cheaper at £50 for the pair (I have one left if anyone is interested).
I put a washer on one side of the ring to create a slight slackness to allow movement as in the picture.
It took little experimentation to get it just right. As you can see I use a B20 IR Illuminator but its the same size as the Drone Pro illuminator which the unit comes with.
View attachment 74846View attachment 74845View attachment 74844View attachment 74843

Ive taken it out twice now and I have to say I'm very impressed, it takes a little getting used to at first but in terms of getting rid of the white out its very good. You can illuminate a subject with the full beam or if necessary with the edge of the beam.
Its very easy to fit and stiff enough to hold position (I used some vaseline to smooth out and lubricate the movement). And for £50 not a bad investment. I dare say optilocks are just as good, not sure if better.

Bryn

Last edited:
I have used an Optilock ring attached to a picatinny QR base as an illuminator mount on my Drone Pro for a long while now, works really well.

I did try the Burris rings, they work just as well but I have to take my illuminator off to put the rifle in the cabinet and getting an allen key out each time is a PITA, hence the QR base.

nice,very similar to this, type in , tracer adjustable torch mount i would have copied and pasted the page but havent a clue how to do it and the wifes out :)

The tracer mount is ok in theory but it moves even when fully tightened a slight knock and its moved, it also needs an allan key to be removed.

I like the laserluchs style ball mount, easy to mount with quick release weaver attachment, similar adjustable ball mount setup.

I'ver been running 4 IR torches in Optilock rings on my Drone Pro and Photon Xtreme conversions. Two are fitted to a pair of Sako weaver/picatinny base with a hex bolt through the clamp but the other 2 are 'bodged' to cheapie lever QR bases with the lever removed and the nut replaced replaced by the thumbwheel nuts from other torch mounts.

For the same reason as AnthonyR above it's the thumbwheel torches that get the most use.... a TR38 Sunnranger and an AS'd NM800 with an 850nm pass filter on it to reduce the glow.... this will still get me out to 275/300m with a fresh battery. (In fact, my Sako bases came from Anthony :thumb:)

One of the Sako bases is up in Scotland with my mate on his DP but we got round the QR problem by using one of the 45degree pic rail adapters with a thumbwheel screw... using the rh side rail on the DP this places the torch at top right of the body which is easy enough to reach with the right hand for focus and doesn't get in the way of the DP's focus.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QD-Offset...920601?hash=item4645923599:g:RosAAOSwAKxWYB8T

Got a pic somewhere....
SAM_1513_zpsncntbzab.jpg

Buying one of the laserluchs torch mounts was an option but at the time they were fairly pricey... but Microglobe currently have them at £39 which is a good price.
http://www.microglobe.co.uk/laserluchs-ball-head-mount-weaver-p-9358.html

Cheers

Fizz
:cool:

Last edited:
I agree with Fizz that the Laserluchs ones are pretty good but on the dear side and they are not available in 30mm which you may need if you are mounting a big T67, hence why I made my own using a 30mm Optilock medium ring and an AD QR base I had here from a bipod mount I was no longer using, they fit together perfectly using the original mounting screw.

I agree with Fizz that the Laserluchs ones are pretty good but on the dear side and they are not available in 30mm which you may need if you are mounting a big T67, hence why I made my own using a 30mm Optilock medium ring and an AD QR base I had here from a bipod mount I was no longer using, they fit together perfectly using the original mounting screw.

No idea why people still use them huge T67's, the newer TR67 with 25mm tube and lighter body is better and more versatile for mounting and swapping lens and the same price. I ditched mine as soon as I received it, far too heavy/bulky for my taste.

No idea why people still use them huge T67's, the newer TR67 with 25mm tube and lighter body is better and more versatile for mounting and swapping lens and the same price. I ditched mine as soon as I received it, far too heavy/bulky for my taste.

When I got mine the 25mm versions were not available and this one takes the bigger batteries as well

please can you link to the new one. I have one of the large ones and a smaller one with the same power would be good.

Are the sun rangers that much better?

i use the sunnranger with the 3x mag lens and have been shooting bunnies out past 300 yards, and my laserluchs IR illuminator has been left in the box,

i use the mount that comes with the 10x IR unit, works well and is hardy and tough,

bob.

Back