270 WSM deer bullet Recomendation

Incisor

Hi all

picked up a nice 270 WSM and hoping to sort out a load for use across the range of uk deer species and maybe boar if the opportunity arises in the future. Looking for a recomedation for which projectile will hopefully meet my needs. Was thinking of Hornady sst, Barnes Ttsx or maybe game kings or Accubond LR if I can find any. Ideally I would like something with a decent bc, predictable expansion, Minimal of possible meat damage and most importantly reliable humane dispatch. Have a selection of powders and decent brass and dies already sorted

any advice apreciated

regards

Simon

No experience with the 270 WSM, but on paper it's a very intresting round. Velocity is high, similar to the 7 mm Rem Mag. A hard, strong bullet would be my choice to minimise meat dammage. Would stay away from tradidtional softpoints like the sst and others. Nosler Partition, Barnes TTSX , Hornady GMX, would be the first I would try. Also would prefer a 150 grain NP over a 130 NP to get lower velocity and minimise meat dammage. Both TTSX and GMX have the reputation not to waste much meat.
Nathan Foster , Terminal Ballistics, calls it a round to cover 90/95 % of the game world wide available. That's also my idea. You picked up a nice and extremely versatile calibre. Foster seems to like bullets that make a lot of mess, I don't. Exit holes of more than 3 X calibre are not acceptable, for me. I like to be able to cover the exit hole with a 2€ coin. Succes.

I have used the 7mm rem mag for a while. So have an idea what you can expect.

Last edited:
Hi all

picked up a nice 270 WSM and hoping to sort out a load for use across the range of uk deer species and maybe boar if the opportunity arises in the future. Looking for a recomedation for which projectile will hopefully meet my needs. Was thinking of Hornady sst, Barnes Ttsx or maybe game kings or Accubond LR if I can find any. Ideally I would like something with a decent bc, predictable expansion, Minimal of possible meat damage and most importantly reliable humane dispatch. Have a selection of powders and decent brass and dies already sorted

any advice apreciated

regards

Simon

those two don't go together IMO

you dont say what you are shooting or at what expected range

Incisor, Zaitsev on this forum now uses a .270 wsm laser, a pm might be worth a seconds of your time as he has enjoyed playing with his.

HS,
Nathan Foster , Terminal Ballistics, calls it a round to cover 90/95 % of the game world wide available. That's also my idea. You picked up a nice and extremely versatile calibre. Foster seems to like bullets that make a lot of mess, I don't.

Nathan Foster is very careful in his books, web based information site and his online video's to give distances over which various bullets are effective. For the very long range shooting in which he participates and teaches he needs bullets to fragment inside the animal at very low terminal velocities, hence his liking for very frangible bullets. He wants a clean kill, even though the animals he shoots at those very, very long ranges are classed as vermin in NZ, hence the use of the particular types of bullets. But as you so rightly say he is a very vocal proponent of the Partition bullet for all close to medium ranges, 0 to 500 yds.

Simon

those two don't go together IMO

you dont say what you are shooting or at what expected range

+ 1

I also agree with Flytie. For European use, I would prefer a stronger constructed bullet. I've used the 160 grain NP in my 7x64 and it was very good. ( Federal Factory ammo) . With the 270 WSM and being a handloader I would try the Barnes TTSX first. This bullet is O.K. from roe to a big Thetford red stag. On roe however, I would try to break one of the heavy shoulder bones. Wouldn't do much dammage and increase the stopping power. ( As if hit by lighning) . A Canadian friend uses the Barnes bulltes for 25 years and is very pleased with them. 7 mm Rem Mag / 160 grain from Whitetail, Elk, Moose and Black Bear.
He started using the X bullet and moved on with the evolution to TTSX.

Thanks all for advice above. bewsher planned shots are all going to be within 250 yards but like the option of stretching out on metal every now and then without having to sort out a seperate load
Thanks for heads up will send Zaitsiev a pm and see if can offer any first hand advice

Regards

Simon

I really like the cartridge but have never actually owned one (have regular 270 Wins and 300 WSM). Most of the 150 grain bullets should run at a velocity that ought to keep meat damage in check as long for most shots. As a value option, a simple 150 grain Hornady Interlock or SST or a Speer Hot Cor should do great work without being gratuitously destructive. Of the premium options, the 140 accubond is a really excellent bullet along with the partitions and 130 TTSX...just be ready to open you wallet for those offerings.

Back