Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sako 85 scope mounting options.

Sako 85 scope mounting options.

I use the optilock extra-low mounts on this rifle, with a 3-9x36 scope there is plenty of room under the objective to move it lower. Does anyone use different mounts on their Sako/Tikka that might allow this, looked at Tier One rings, mediums are the same height as the optilocks (no low option). A lighter option would also be preferable.

I use the one piece Optilock ones with a 1" tube 50mm objective scope, this has a clearance between scope and barrel of about 1mm. My barrel is slightly heavier than standard Sako hunter profile.
    I also used the extra low two piece Optilock mounts with a 44mm objective, still plenty clearance. I couldn't find any other manufacturers mounts that would reduce the clearance any further.
    You could give Alan Rhone a call, very helpful and may know of something.

The one piece optilock lows are only 1.5mm lower than the two piece extra-lows. They would save a bit of weight but are expensive. I am trying to get hold of Leupold Sako Low ring mounts , these are 6mm lower than what I've got, significantly lighter and cheaper than optilocks. Can't find any in this country (plenty of mediums but no low versions) so looking further afield.

Quote Originally Posted by Sako308 View Post
    I use the optilock extra-low mounts on this rifle, with a 3-9x36 scope there is plenty of room under the objective to move it lower. Does anyone use different mounts on their Sako/Tikka that might allow this, looked at Tier One rings, mediums are the same height as the optilocks (no low option). A lighter option would also be preferable.
    You could take the mounts apart and get someone to machine a little off the base of the yokes. However watch you don't get into a situation where the bolt handle clashes with your scope. I've certainly had this done once after I fitted a moderator and the point of impact changed substantially.

Regards

JCS

The one piece optilock lows are only 1.5mm lower than the two piece extra-lows. They would save a bit of weight but are expensive. I am trying to get hold of Leupold Sako Low ring mounts , these are 6mm lower than what I've got, significantly lighter and cheaper than optilocks. Can't find any in this country (plenty of mediums but no low versions) so looking further afield.
    If you do get some would you let me have a look at them as I'd be interested in trying them too.

Will do, they are proving hard to come by though.

Actually just seen Uttings have a set, have ordered them so will post some pictures when they're installed. I'm not a two piece Optilock fan, heavy and too high, even in the extra low version (I like small scopes). Why machine an integral base onto the receiver and then add another base on top, that's two bases with unnecessary bulk and weight.

What's your cheek and eye alignment like?

With a 36mm I suspect you will always have room under the objective.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Not good, need to get the scope lower. Will try the Leupolds, may get into issues with the ocular end if they're too low. Trial and error.

That's better, spot on for a 3-9x36 and my eye lines up perfectly now. Certainly shaved off a few oz as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1117.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	429.0 KB 
ID:	75143Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1118.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	465.6 KB 
ID:	75145

(Sorry I can't get these pictures to up-load the right way up).