Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Landy remap

Landy remap

Hi folks. Has anyone out there had their new LR Discovery remapped? If so, what do you think of the results? MPG, power and whatever else, positives and negatives.

Regards, cjs.

I wouldn't dare , they are barely able for the power they make already without breaking down all the time !
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Sorry, can I ask the same question to the non haters out there! Best not mention I'll have my Blaser in the back of it…..

Two gearboxes in two successive vehicles failed with factory output power I can't imagine more power will help ?

Can I ask what year they were?
    It was more of a economy map I'm thinking of, they've enough power really.

Sorry I'm not being much help , my hatred of landrovers is clouding my vision !

i chipped my landruisers with no problem , after chipping they were noticeably more powerful and better to drive , more economical unless you used the extra power (nothing's free)

this is is my take on it , modern diesels are generally too small and make too much power in comparison to their capacity to have any reliable ' wiggle' room to see real results without stressing an already over stressed engine , a large capacity 'lazy' engine is a better bet ? I've watched the trend towards highly boosted smaller engines in cranes (my business) and longevity suffers, a lazy V12 twin turbo diesel lasts much better than a modern V8 of smaller capacity say 16l running much higher boost and massive intercoolers , this is my practical experience anyway.

i wouldn't do it to a modern land rover anyway !

I considered doing my rr 4.4tdv8 but it's current reliability has put me off , I will get rid of it in favour of one of the last V8 land cruisers with the 4.5 V8 diesel and that I will chip without worry.

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    Two gearboxes in two successive vehicles failed with factory output power I can't imagine more power will help ?
    Hey there Mr tackb, you didn't get around to telling what year your self destructing Discoverys were ? Were they the 8 speed model?

Regards. cjs

Quote Originally Posted by cjs66 View Post
    Hey there Mr tackb, you didn't get around to telling what year your self destructing Discoverys were ? Were they the 8 speed model?

Regards. cjs
    yes sorry , it was a while ago , the first was a manual 300tdi the second and by far the worst vehicle I've ever owned was a td5 es automatic , both vehicles had a replacement engine and two gearboxes , the TD5 was recovered from the side of the road by landrover assist 10 times during warranty , the two landcruisers I had (driven the same) gave no trouble , none one did 170k the other did 268k both are still running and still giving no trouble.

after a period of 'I'm never buying that rubbish again' I weakened and brought a TDV8 range rover , it's no better than the last two LR vehicles I brought and exhibits shocking unreliability , I should have stuck with Toyota much as I'd like to buy a 'british' brand.

I've got a Disco 4, although it's the 6 speed model. I really don't think I'm getting the full Land Rover experience with it though, because I've had it for nearly 3 years and it hasn't broken down. Who'd have thought it?

To be honest though, if you are wanting more out of a 3 litre twin turbo engine that already produces 254HP, just perhaps you have got the wrong sort of vehicle. It's performance for me is just great for a big brick that tows pretty much anything and is fantastic off road. Maybe you should sell it and get a Porsche.

Anyway, joking aside, but not from personal experience, try these guys http://www.alivetuning.com/landrover/ You might gain some useful information here too http://www.disco4.com/forum/

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    I've got a Disco 4, although it's the 6 speed model. I really don't think I'm getting the full Land Rover experience with it though, because I've had it for nearly 3 years and it hasn't broken down. Who'd have thought it?

To be honest though, if you are wanting more out of a 3 litre twin turbo engine that already produces 254HP, just perhaps you have got the wrong sort of vehicle. It's performance for me is just great for a big brick that tows pretty much anything and is fantastic off road. Maybe you should sell it and get a Porsche.

Anyway, joking aside, but not from personal experience, try these guys http://www.alivetuning.com/landrover/ You might gain some useful information here too http://www.disco4.com/forum/
    I had a Porsche 911 , faster than a landrover , slightly less practical and not as good off road but considerably more reliable........

yes , who'd have thought it , certainly no reliability survey ever........