Landy remap

cjs66

Hi folks. Has anyone out there had their new LR Discovery remapped? If so, what do you think of the results? MPG, power and whatever else, positives and negatives.

Regards, cjs.

I wouldn't dare , they are barely able for the power they make already without breaking down all the time !

Sorry, can I ask the same question to the non haters out there! Best not mention I'll have my Blaser in the back of it….. :norty:

Two gearboxes in two successive vehicles failed with factory output power I can't imagine more power will help ?

Sorry I'm not being much help , my hatred of landrovers is clouding my vision !

i chipped my landruisers with no problem , after chipping they were noticeably more powerful and better to drive , more economical unless you used the extra power (nothing's free)

this is is my take on it , modern diesels are generally too small and make too much power in comparison to their capacity to have any reliable ' wiggle' room to see real results without stressing an already over stressed engine , a large capacity 'lazy' engine is a better bet ? I've watched the trend towards highly boosted smaller engines in cranes (my business) and longevity suffers, a lazy V12 twin turbo diesel lasts much better than a modern V8 of smaller capacity say 16l running much higher boost and massive intercoolers , this is my practical experience anyway.

i wouldn't do it to a modern land rover anyway !

I considered doing my rr 4.4tdv8 but it's current reliability has put me off , I will get rid of it in favour of one of the last V8 land cruisers with the 4.5 V8 diesel and that I will chip without worry.

Two gearboxes in two successive vehicles failed with factory output power I can't imagine more power will help ?

Hey there Mr tackb, you didn't get around to telling what year your self destructing Discoverys were ? Were they the 8 speed model?

Regards. cjs

Hey there Mr tackb, you didn't get around to telling what year your self destructing Discoverys were ? Were they the 8 speed model?

Regards. cjs

yes sorry , it was a while ago , the first was a manual 300tdi the second and by far the worst vehicle I've ever owned was a td5 es automatic , both vehicles had a replacement engine and two gearboxes , the TD5 was recovered from the side of the road by landrover assist 10 times during warranty , the two landcruisers I had (driven the same) gave no trouble , none one did 170k the other did 268k both are still running and still giving no trouble.

after a period of 'I'm never buying that rubbish again' I weakened and brought a TDV8 range rover , it's no better than the last two LR vehicles I brought and exhibits shocking unreliability , I should have stuck with Toyota much as I'd like to buy a 'british' brand.

I've got a Disco 4, although it's the 6 speed model. I really don't think I'm getting the full Land Rover experience with it though, because I've had it for nearly 3 years and it hasn't broken down. Who'd have thought it?

To be honest though, if you are wanting more out of a 3 litre twin turbo engine that already produces 254HP, just perhaps you have got the wrong sort of vehicle. It's performance for me is just great for a big brick that tows pretty much anything and is fantastic off road. Maybe you should sell it and get a Porsche.

Anyway, joking aside, but not from personal experience, try these guys http://www.alivetuning.com/landrover/ You might gain some useful information here too http://www.disco4.com/forum/

I've got a Disco 4, although it's the 6 speed model. I really don't think I'm getting the full Land Rover experience with it though, because I've had it for nearly 3 years and it hasn't broken down. Who'd have thought it?

To be honest though, if you are wanting more out of a 3 litre twin turbo engine that already produces 254HP, just perhaps you have got the wrong sort of vehicle. It's performance for me is just great for a big brick that tows pretty much anything and is fantastic off road. Maybe you should sell it and get a Porsche.

Anyway, joking aside, but not from personal experience, try these guys http://www.alivetuning.com/landrover/ You might gain some useful information here too http://www.disco4.com/forum/

I had a Porsche 911 , faster than a landrover , slightly less practical and not as good off road but considerably more reliable........

yes , who'd have thought it , certainly no reliability survey ever........

I had a Porsche 911 , faster than a landrover , slightly less practical and not as good off road but considerably more reliable........

yes , who'd have thought it , certainly no reliability survey ever........

To be fair, I had a TD5 that had pretty much everything go wrong with it. If you made a list of all the usual things that could go wrong with a TD5 Discovery, my vehicle had the lot and more! Nightmare! But some people are gluttons for punishment. I do think that they have got better in recent years, but I'd still never buy one without a good warranty.

I've No Landrover experience, but what I will say is re map is the proper way, not chipping for the long term.
This is speaking from Agricultural experience. The modern tractor engine is very complex these days.
Be sensible with the power increase is the main thing. The engine will stand it but nothing else will and some big repair bills could be in the post!
If done properly a re map will give what your looking for.
As for LR reliability - you can let us know....
Good luck

This whole idea of small engines boosted to their limits in the search for mpg in test conditions does worry me. Is it really better for the environment. Isn't it better to have a low stressed engine / geartrain etc that just keeps going for ever. Earlier this a friend too delivery of a new 60 foot mast. It was delivered by a chap who drives one of those big V8 Diesel engined Chevy truck cos that are normally black and carry lots of FBI agents with dark glasses. He uses it to two a 60 foot long boat trailer and he has done over 1 million miles in it towing boats and masts all around Europe. It's still on its original engine, although it had a partial rebuild after 700,000 miles.

This whole idea of small engines boosted to their limits in the search for mpg in test conditions does worry me. Is it really better for the environment. Isn't it better to have a low stressed engine / geartrain etc that just keeps going for ever. Earlier this a friend too delivery of a new 60 foot mast. It was delivered by a chap who drives one of those big V8 Diesel engined Chevy truck cos that are normally black and carry lots of FBI agents with dark glasses. He uses it to two a 60 foot long boat trailer and he has done over 1 million miles in it towing boats and masts all around Europe. It's still on its original engine, although it had a partial rebuild after 700,000 miles.

Nope, no good at all, but it looks good for the eu emission regs.

Back