Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wildfowling coat

Wildfowling coat

Any ideas on a good coat for wildfowling thanks

I've had a rivers west smock for 3 seasons it was 80.00....working on the basis that we wont see any real cold weather the likes of the 60's
    If it gets that cold for any amount of time they put a ban on shooting wildfowl as they will be in poor condition....

I brought it one size over as nothing worse then not being able to swing, when I break it I will buy the same type again.

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

The more times you go, there is always a chance of going home with one

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

Agree with above my go to jacket. Failing that if it looks wet then my deerhunter ram jacket.

Never found one that's kept me warm enough. So I wear my laksen stalking jacket with an old Schoffel ptarmigan field coat over the top. With two merino wool underlayers and a good thick fisherman's jumper under the chest waders I'm usually OK

Not sure what the new stuff is like, but I'm still wearing one from http://www.freewebs.com/weariteclothing/jackets.htm that I bought at least 10 years ago. American jackets are designed for cold dry/snowy weather with no drip strip in most cases to cope with our wet weather.

Can you move in that lot lollot lol

Whose doing deals on river west eider jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by PAULT View Post
    Can you move in that lot lollot lol
    That was my thought, unless he cant see them and gets cold sitting still..........lol

Mind you I have been known to rub my hands in the snow out foxing much to the horror of my South African lamp man lol

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

The more times you go, there is always a chance of going home with one

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

Would highly recommend the Rivers West Kentdale Jacket, will keep you dry in any fowling weather, but definitely not a summer coat.

Hardly ever go wildfowling now but I was always a fan of layering using low value, easy clean items. I liked army surplus gore-tex as a shell, not used it yet but the newer MTP cammo would be good being lighter than DPM. Never been a fan of 'shooting' type coats for 'fowling as the lower pockets are prone to getting wet if you kneel and sit in creeks.