Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: digi scopes

digi scopes

A good friend has asked me advice on the new digi scopes now out
    I think he called it the day and night digi scope
    has anybody any views good or bad on these scopes
    I think hes looking to buy a 223 as a foxing set up
    many thanks pete ,

Well if he is talking about the Pulsar N550 Digisight then I can give you my views as I have one myself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000484.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	176.1 KB 
ID:	1645Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000485.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	1644

For the price, I paid 995 which included the add on IR Illuminator I am delighted. Having not used traditional Gen1-3 scopes I cant really give a comparison with the DigiSight but in terms of practical application I have one on top of my .243 for foxes.

I was out with it a few nights ago at approx 23.30 and observed a fox clearly at about 450, it was admittedly a moonlit night. Called him in to 80 yards and finished the job.

Pluses :

Good value NV
    Good recognition at distance
    excelent clarity out to about 100-150 yards weather depending
    Not prone to flare from outside light sources
    Robust design
    Simple "One Shot Zero". Fire a round, using the elevation and windage controls move reticle to bullet strike, press button, Zero complete

Minuses :

Fiddly controls. The focus knob is right at the front of the scope, so to adjust focus you need 6 foot long arms
    Eats batteries. Expect to use 4 x AA per outing. I now have loads of 2800ma rechargeables
    Not practical to spot with. In the same way as you wouldnt spot with your day scope dont try spotting with this. You need a seperate NV mon/binocular unless you have biceps the size of Bournmouth!

I would not call this a Day/Night scope by any stretch of the imagination. You "can" use it during the day to zero but its not an operational day scope.

All in all this is a perfect scope for what i use it for, sitting in pitch black, no visible light giving away a position to lamp shy foxes and good range and clarity.

If this isnt the scope your friend was asking about this review is probably irrelevant, but hopefully it may be of use to someone else.

ATB

Pat
    Last edited by WiltsPat; 30-06-2010 at 06:34. Reason: Adding pretty pics/Typos

I would agree with Pat, I have been using one for a couple of months on a nightly basis and found it excellent. In total dark (difficult at this time of year) it would need an IR boost like the Laserluchs but for normal use it is excellent and I believe, the way forward.
    I would go with Pat when he says you really need a separate spotting NV unit as using the Digisight when mounted on the rifle produces a fair old lump apart from the safety angle. All in all a really good unit.

As an addition to the above I have been working on this, a 55W Xenon Searchlight modified with an IR Filter. Again no visible light but in the Digisight it lights up the world in complete darkness and extends the acquisition range way out beyond 600 yards.

Now i just need to figure out a good way to use it as its not exactly something you can sling under your rifle. Im thinking this is stage 1 of my Disco mounted All Weather Automated Turret Gun

Name:	IR Lamp.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	862.3 KB 
ID:	1647Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IR Lamp2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	935.2 KB 
ID:	1646

Pat

The scope looks to be be mounted so that you're head is pretty high of the stock, is this the case. with the size of it , it is inevitable

Just an observation not a criticisim

Quote Originally Posted by bambislayer View Post
    Pat

The scope looks to be be mounted so that you're head is pretty high of the stock, is this the case. with the size of it , it is inevitable

Just an observation not a criticisim

The Eye Relief is not optimal, but post that picture being taken I have put a BlackHawk Cheek pad on which as you can see has a raised comb which actually now makes it very comfortable to use. One other point that I should have made in my review was that you cannot use this scope if you wear glasses. If you do the Rubber Eye Relief piece effectively forms a seal and your glasses steam up in about 10 seconds lol

Name:	11571.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	1648

Quote Originally Posted by WiltsPat View Post
    The Eye Relief is not optimal, but post that picture being taken I have put a BlackHawk Cheek pad on which as you can see has a raised comb which actually now makes it very comfortable to use. One other point that I should have made in my review was that you cannot use this scope if you wear glasses. If you do the Rubber Eye Relief piece effectively forms a seal and your glasses steam up in about 10 seconds lol

Name:	11571.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	1648
    That's just what I was going to suggest

Great minds think alike

Interestingly there has been talk on the intraweb for the last few months of a doubler for the N550. Nothing solid seems to have emerged but to take that scope up to 8x would be truly awesome.
    Last edited by WiltsPat; 30-06-2010 at 09:29.

I was talking to the importer last week at a trade show, the "doubler" that you can see clips of on Youtube, was a homemade jobbie and the scope it was fitted to is back with the manufacturer for repair (outside of warranty due to the "modification"). Of course that may be a coincidence, but I doubt it.

Anyway, the importer was saying that, at present, there is no factory mod available nor is one one the cards, the manufacturer will obviously be looking to move the scope onwards however so you never know.

Thanks for the update, figured it was to good to be true!

Guess we will just have to wait and see but in the mean time Charlie still gets it at 4.5x