Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving gun cabinet

Moving gun cabinet

Evening folks, what is the procedure for upgrading and moving a gun cabinet?
    my current cabinet is pretty much at full capacity and I'm thinking of changing it for a larger one and while I'm at moving it to a diffrent room in the house (were I keep all my shooting attire) my question is do I need to inform my issuing force that I have changed my security location etc and have it checked or is it not required aslong as the cabinet is fitted correctly etc?

Cheers BS

No sure whether it's a requirement or not but no harm in doing so as a "belt and braces" approach.

I think you will find you can move it as long as it is still in your house and fitted securely that it is no need to inform.

Probably silly but rather than replacing my current cabinet, I'd be inclined just to buy a second and stick it in the new place. Then you don't need to worry about 'moving' it and telling the police you've done so. All you've done is increased your capacity and if they want to come and check that they can.

SD Regular
    No harm, at all, in a belt and braces approach. Indeed it'll optimistically mean that Police Scotland will be satisfied enough to allow an increase in your number of weapons held without further concern. Plus you'll benefit from their current advice as to what 'spec' of cabinet and fixing is desirable to them.

Thanks guys, like said I think I'll give them a call just to be sure and not upset anyone lol. It might be a good idea to instead of buying a much larger cabinet to replace my existing one but buy another of a similar size and fix that in the new place and split my SGs and rifles.

Absolutely no need to inform the police about changing your security arrangements in your own house as long as it is securely fastened to a wall and cabinet of the approved type.
    I always keep the bolts, fore ends and ammunition separate from the rifles/shotguns anyway in another locked cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta shooter View Post
    Thanks guys, like said I think I'll give them a call just to be sure and not upset anyone lol. It might be a good idea to instead of buying a much larger cabinet to replace my existing one but buy another of a similar size and fix that in the new place and split my SGs and rifles.
    Always best to keep them informed whether its a requirement or not
    Ray

Done this very thing about a year ago, added an additional cabinet beside my existing , a quick call to Glenrothes and they arranged a house visit from he local wpc/firearms licensing officer to inspect and approve.

Keep them informed it's easy.

Why not also phone and tell them you have painted downstairs loo yellow. Why add another condition that is not needed. You will moan about DSC1 being a pre-requisite to grant next.