Moving gun cabinet

Beretta shooter

Evening folks, what is the procedure for upgrading and moving a gun cabinet?
my current cabinet is pretty much at full capacity and I'm thinking of changing it for a larger one and while I'm at moving it to a diffrent room in the house (were I keep all my shooting attire) my question is do I need to inform my issuing force that I have changed my security location etc and have it checked or is it not required aslong as the cabinet is fitted correctly etc?

Cheers BS

I think you will find you can move it as long as it is still in your house and fitted securely that it is no need to inform.

Probably silly but rather than replacing my current cabinet, I'd be inclined just to buy a second and stick it in the new place. Then you don't need to worry about 'moving' it and telling the police you've done so. All you've done is increased your capacity and if they want to come and check that they can.

No harm, at all, in a belt and braces approach. Indeed it'll optimistically mean that Police Scotland will be satisfied enough to allow an increase in your number of weapons held without further concern. Plus you'll benefit from their current advice as to what 'spec' of cabinet and fixing is desirable to them.

Thanks guys, like said I think I'll give them a call just to be sure and not upset anyone lol. It might be a good idea to instead of buying a much larger cabinet to replace my existing one but buy another of a similar size and fix that in the new place and split my SGs and rifles.

Absolutely no need to inform the police about changing your security arrangements in your own house as long as it is securely fastened to a wall and cabinet of the approved type.
I always keep the bolts, fore ends and ammunition separate from the rifles/shotguns anyway in another locked cabinet.

Thanks guys, like said I think I'll give them a call just to be sure and not upset anyone lol. It might be a good idea to instead of buying a much larger cabinet to replace my existing one but buy another of a similar size and fix that in the new place and split my SGs and rifles.

Always best to keep them informed whether its a requirement or not
Ray

Done this very thing about a year ago, added an additional cabinet beside my existing , a quick call to Glenrothes and they arranged a house visit from he local wpc/firearms licensing officer to inspect and approve.

Keep them informed it's easy.

Why not also phone and tell them you have painted downstairs loo yellow. Why add another condition that is not needed. You will moan about DSC1 being a pre-requisite to grant next.

There's no need to inform them - they'll find out at your next renewal anyway.
The only requirement is that you take reasonable precautions for the security of your firearms, which you're obviously doing.
We have to jump through enough hoops as it is, without inventing new ones for ourselves.

Probably silly but rather than replacing my current cabinet, I'd be inclined just to buy a second and stick it in the new place. Then you don't need to worry about 'moving' it and telling the police you've done so. All you've done is increased your capacity and if they want to come and check that they can.

Thats what I've done - I had a 3/4 gun safe which is now full, so I bought another one the same which will go next to the existing one.

With the added bonus that if some neer-do-well does happen to get in to your house they've now got two safes to get into rather than just one!

Just bought a 12 gun safe. Ironically coincided with my FEO visit. His exact words were bloody thats massive gave it a quick shake and that was that. If you just putting a bigger one in, I personally wouldn't bother harassing my FEO tbh.

thats all i did just bought a bigger one placed it,job done ,last time feo came he glanced at the new one never asked about the old one still in place elsewhere,

Just bought a 12 gun safe. Ironically coincided with my FEO visit. His exact words were bloody thats massive gave it a quick shake and that was that. If you just putting a bigger one in, I personally wouldn't bother harassing my FEO tbh.

My FEO joked that it would be possible to hide a body in mine!

No harm, at all, in a belt and braces approach. Indeed it'll optimistically mean that Police Scotland will be satisfied enough to allow an increase in your number of weapons held without further concern. Plus you'll benefit from their current advice as to what 'spec' of cabinet and fixing is desirable to them.

As above!
I'd go along with John. If you move the cabinet from the room it's currently in, then they need to know ideally. Can the new position be viewed from a window or visitors easily see where it is? Are the walls construction suitable to comply with current requirements etc? No harm asking and you're not eroding any rights whatsoever. Belt and braces, by keeping them in the loop is better than saying nowt IMO.

Last edited:
As above!
I'd go along with John. If you move the cabinet from the room it's currently in, then they need to know ideally. Can the new position be viewed from a window or visitors easily see where it is? Are the walls construction suitable to comply with current requirements etc? No harm asking and you're not eroding any rights whatsoever. Belt and braces, by keeping them in the loop is better than saying nowt IMO.

No they dont "NEED" to know, if a person does not have the common sense to mount their cabinet in a secluded place, out of view of visitors, not easily seen through windows and not on paper thin walls then maybe they shouldnt have a FAC

Ian

I informed them and asked if they would like to check security for my other cabinet , they did come and look at it and I mean,,,, look ,,,not touch and said that's fine,,,,I now have 5 fitted and never bothered them again.

No they dont "NEED" to know, if a person does not have the common sense to mount their cabinet in a secluded place, out of view of visitors, not easily seen through windows and not on paper thin walls then maybe they shouldnt have a FAC

Ian

Lol, re-read the thread! I wouldn't trust some posters to choose a location for a gunsafe. Whether that makes them unsuitable to own a firearm (FAC) is your call ..Not mine!

This is silly - you have The Guidance and as long as you are sensible then no-one else needs to know. Its getting to a stage where people will buy their FEO a Christmas present to make sure they get a 'good service' ----its their job.
No you DONT have to inform them and NO you Dont need approval - security is YOUR responsibility.
Get real people - you have a deadly 'weapon' (I prefer gun) and you are asking someone else how safely stored it is ? Why not ask them to accompany you when you take a shot to see if thats safe.

Back