Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Myxomatosis ??

Myxomatosis ??

Shot a few rabbits this morning on a small piece of land I have just taken on. The place is overrun with them, and I am trying reduce the numbers for the owner as thank you for the being able to take a few muntjac.

The picture of the liver is from a half grown rabbit, which outwardly appeared very healthy. The yellowish lumps on the liver were soft and full of puss; the liver was very enlarged. The other rabbits I shot had normal looking livers.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/v...rett/photo.jpg

I have shot plenty of rabbits before with external signs of Myxomatosis, which have been disposed of and not opened up. Am I right in thinking this liver is an indication of the start of Myxomatosis.

ATB

Tom

With no external signs of myxy I would be inclined to suggest either tape worm cysts, or liver disease of some description. What did the 'puss' look like? If it looked like lots of tiny grains of rice then it would most likely be tape worm cysts. If it was creamy goo then I'd go for some other form of parasitic or bacterial liver disease.

Alex

could be mixi, either that or it lived on whisky and not greens ( sclerrosis of the liver ). only other disease I know of is RHVD rabbit haemorrhagic viral disease where the beast drops dead with no signs of anything wrong with it. we've had mixi outbreaks twice in 18 months, local farmers love it !!

Alex,

Puss was smooth, with the consistency of, say single cream!

T

The picture does look pretty manky. I assume you ditched it?

Kept the picture. Rabbit disposed of!

T

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    With no external signs of myxy I would be inclined to suggest either tape worm cysts, or liver disease of some description. What did the 'puss' look like? If it looked like lots of tiny grains of rice then it would most likely be tape worm cysts. If it was creamy goo then I'd go for some other form of parasitic or bacterial liver disease.

Alex
    +1 mixi from my limited knowledge of it affects, lungs, air canal, eyes not the liver. tape worm cysts has been discussed just recent. cant find the thread sorry

frank

Hi although im no vet id be pretty confident that it is coccidiosis(dont quote me on the spelling)A few years ago when we had a lot of ground with good rabbit numbers,i was always out with the air rifle,rimfire or ferretting and i came across quite a few from the one area with livers like that so i asked the local vet about it and he told me to bring in some examples which i did and after a few days he got back to saying it was coccidiosis and they looked just like that photo!if i remember rightly he said the rabbit would be edible minus the liver obviously,and it was quite often more prevalent when liver fluke was also around which was correct also,some rabbits also showed up with this.hope thats of some help ,best wishes Iain

I agree with Corky, almost certainly coccidiosis, the liver becomes hard. Tapeworm cysts can appear but you can usually find the cysts floating in clear lymph like fluid. Coccidiosis often shows up if there is a heavy infestation of rabbits in a contained area. I've had trouble with it in the past on cliff land.
    Myxy shows no apparent internal signs except for a total lack of fat and signs of starvation.
    VHD will either show no signs at all or rabbits will bleed from the nose, mouth etc: it kills very quickly. I was up a high seat a month or so ago and a rabbit came into the open looking perfectly normal it sat down about 15 yards away and in two hours it was dead! Have to say though it has not been so virulent this time round only killing about 75%

like old keeper the infected rabbits i got were from an area of hill grazing near to the coast and before this the rabbits were the biggest and healthiest id ever came across,but numbers exploded over a couple of years then i started getting these ones with liver problems before myxy took the numbers down and then vhd hit and rabbits virtually disappeared,this was mirrored on other bits of ground near oban as well and these grounds now hold very few rabbits although there is still places in the local area with fairly big populations i unfortunately dont have the shooting on them!sometimes rabbits in the early stages of myxy with minor external signs had a yellow tinge on the inner body which obviously was only noticed on gutting,i used these for bait for hoodie shooting!